Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem setting up a network game

Hi,

I'd like to be able to set up a network game so that multiple players can play the game together on the network. How does this work? Can two PCs be hooked up together to be able to enjoy playing the game? i suppose they also have to be in the same workgroup or it doesn't matter.

i have this game called trackmania which has a feature of network but just don't know how to configure it so that it allows two PCs to be able to see each other?

They both run on XP Pro.

Thank you in advance

Re: problem setting up a network game

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...an+setup&meta=

You will need:
    Network card on each PC (should already have it)
    Crossover cable or (better still) network switch and 2 patch cables
    Plug it all together and there is a fair chance your PCs will see each other without any further work
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you Ossian,

I have a network switch (so that's not an issue). So let me clarify this again with you. All i need is

2 PCs
      1 network switch
      2 network cables
      and is that all?

Do i need to install the game onto both of the PCs? or onto one, then the PC that has not been installed can look over and run it from the other PC?

What about DHCP? i mean if you have two PCs connected together via a switch, who actually gives out the IP address? sorry i've never done this before.

Thank you in advance

Comment

Originally posted by associates View Post
        I have a network switch (so that's not an issue). So let me clarify this again with you. All i need is

2 PCs
        1 network switch
        2 network cables
        and is that all?
        Yes - that's all you should need

Do i need to install the game onto both of the PCs? or onto one, then the PC that has not been installed can look over and run it from the other PC?
        Yes - You need to have two licenses for the game and each PC needs to have the game running locally

What about DHCP? i mean if you have two PCs connected together via a switch, who actually gives out the IP address? sorry i've never done this before.
        Is it a switch or a router you have. A router can be configured to automatically do DHCP. If it's just a switch then you need to configure the PC's with seperate IP addresses in the same subnet i.e.:

PC1
        IP Address - 192.168.0.10
        Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway - Leave Blank

PC2
        IP Address - 192.168.0.11
        Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway - Leave Blank

Once the two PC's have been configured open a DOS prompt and pring PC 1 from PC2 to ensure there is connetivity. Once you have verified this you'll have to read your game instructions for how to set-up the game for multiplayer.

Hope this helps

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X