Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not enough wall sockets for all the workstations.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not enough wall sockets for all the workstations.

Hi there

I was hoping someone could help me with an answer to my question.

I currently look after a school network and we have a 2003 machine and around 40 XP Pro workstations connected.

Each classroom has a single network socket mounted on the wall connected to a single pc.

Recently we got new classroom computers and a nice shiney prometheon whiteboard connect to each of them. All the teachers want their new computers on the network with their roaming profiles, curriculum resources etc.

Now this is not a problem. What is a problem is that most of the teachers would like to keep their old computers in the classrooms and also have them on the network. I only have a single network wall socket in each classroom.

Now my first thought was to get another switch in the cupboard and run a new cable into every classroom and replace the single wall sockets with doubles. But with all the layout (cost) for the new ICT equipment this might not be an option.

My other thought was to get RJ45 cable splitters used in pairs at each end of a cable run, plus getting another switch for the cupboard.

Then on the way to work today I had a brain fart. Could I just put a 4way switch in each classroom? You know the cheap kind you might use at home.

Is this possible and if so will I still be able to have both classroom workstations on the network using AD and still with internet access, sharing files, roaming accounts and so on at the same time?

Will this cause any strain on the network?

Thanks in advance

Blad
    Last edited by Bladden; 27th February 2008, 22:43. Reason: half asleep

Re: Not enough wall sockets for all the workstations.

Even a cheap 4/5 port switch will cost you about $10, unless you find some on ebay or craigslist. 40 rooms will cost you about $400. Not sure how much the splitters will cost you. I know for a fact that it IS possibe to run 2 100mb fd feeds on 1 cat5e cable. You just need to know the correct cabling order of the pairs (2 per connection). Basically 1 cable can have 2 connections on both ends. It's probably the exact thing that the splitter is doing. Your cost doing it this way would be whatever you need in the patch room and some more cat5 connectors.
    Jake G

Former Microsoft MVP - IIS ('02-'06)

Comment

You might want to look at these, although I don't know what the cost is.

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/d...se&sku=3CNJ100

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/d...WEBBNCNJ220SYS

Comment

for "future proofing" I would go down the switch route. As said, 4-8 port switches are cheap, and even cheaper in bulk and this will allow more equipment to be added later rather than the splitter, which will only allow ONE additional item

Also, speak to the head teacher / governors / decision makers about their future plans for the school. In this networked world, they should be seeing more and more equipment (OLPC, remember) so a Wireless LAN across the whole campus may be a viable option
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for your comments folks.

The wireless option is something I have been thinking about but was a little worried about using that for class/teacher computers as a heavy(ish) download is required every time they log into the network due to the delivery of classroom resources etc and as we know wireless is still a little slow.

I was thinking over the whole 4port switch in each classroom but was worried it might not work. Hoping one of you guys could help comment on...
          Is it possible to even have a 4 port switch connected to each cable running off the main 24/48 port switch.

I am aware that you can daisy chain switches using the uplink or port 1 on each switch, but what I am thinking about would require a cable from each port on the main switch going to each classroom, which in turn would have a small 4 port switch on the ends.

The wall sockets mentioned by Joe are also a nice idea but I am guessing would also take up muliple ports on the main switch as this is still splittings the cables as such (unless I am mistaken.)

My main goal is to avoid a large payout of a new cisco switch in the cupboard, laying cables etc.

Thanks for helping me brain storm this little problem.

If you can add anything more to this then please do

Comment

The wall sockets and switches operate in the same manner, as switches. It is possible to uplink a switch in each classrom to a single port on the main switch, so you are only using one set of wires from the classroom to the main switch. Most modern switches support automatic sensing of the device connected to it and set the appropriate uplink settings whether it detects a switch or host, so you don't need to worry about setting the main switch manually. For the most part you should just have to decide which device you want in the classroom, the wall socket or a standard switch, buy it and plug it in. It should be as simple as that.

Comment

Thx Joe, that's exactly what I wanted to hear

P.S Only found this forum the other day, fantastic to know there is a place you can brain storm.

Again thx to all the comments, they were all a great help.

Comment

You could also look at running fibre to each classroom. Linksys have an 8 port switch with a mini GBIC port at a excellent price. There is a cost in purchasing the mini GBIC adapters and have the appropriate connectors at the MDF end. However if you are after performance this is an option.

Another performance option with cost effectiveness is to follow Joe's suggestion but to use Gigabit mini switches in the classroom connecting back to a Gigabit switch in the MDF.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Before you run your network cables make sure you have enough electricity which is something i overlooked in the past, brown outs( undervoltage) is very tough to troubleshoot for example on a 15 amp circuit you should have no more than 7 pcs drawing 200 watts conservativly, 80 percent of a circuit load, another consideration is to keep your cat5e at least 18 inches if running perpendicular to a conduit. EMI ( electromagetic interference ) will cause broadcast storms and colllsions bringing your network to a halt! I work for a school as well and was opting for the promethian board but we ended up with smart boards instead. Good luck hope this helps.

Comment

Again thanks for everyones help.
                    Just to let you know I ended up adding a cheap (6.99) 5 port D-Link switch to every classroom.

1 link to the wall socket.
                    1 Link to the main classroom computer running the whiteboard.
                    1 link to a secondary computer for the kids to play on.

The only hitch I had was our 2 HP laserjet colour network printers, which seemed to go offline everytime I added a new computer to the network. Restarting them each time fixed the problem. Not sure if this is because they are plugged directly into the network via ethernet rather than directly into a print server via USB.

Anyway thx again.

Blad

Comment

Check the printer IP addresses and make sure they have static addresses that are outwith your DHCP scope. From your description, they have dynamic addresses that are getting kidnapped by the PCs

Good price on the switches, and it gives you flexibility to expand more in the future

Where in the UK are you?
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

A better option for setting a printer IP if you are lazy like me is reserve an IP for the MAC address in DHCP. School where I work have a standard IP range:
                        x.x.x.1 = Router
                        x.x.x.2 to x.x.x.16 = Switches
                        x.x.x.17 to x.x.x.39 = Servers
                        x.x.x.40 to x.x.x.59 = Printers
                        x.x.x.60 and above is the start of the dynamic IP range

One important thing you should do is to DOCUMENT everything you do. That way if you get hit by a bus, train or runaway mule on the way to work then the next tech will be able to get up to speed very quickly. Also gives you a reference of the layout, setting etc without having to physically visit the location.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

that must be a good school you're working at
                          I worked for 2 years as a system admin in a highschool, and if I tried to use small and easy to remove equipment in the classrooms, it would be gone the next day.
                          ________
                          Yamaha Tdm850
                          Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:11.
                          Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
                            that must be a good school you're working at
                            I worked for 2 years as a system admin in a highschool, and if I tried to use small and easy to remove equipment in the classrooms, it would be gone the next day.

If D-Link have metal cases, 240 volts have a good deterrant effect
                            Tom Jones
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

hehe I wish it was so simple if you do something like that the kids' parents will sue you

my solution was - every little thing was documented and put on the principals' desk. also I refused to go into a computer class to do any work, if the kids were in there. So every broken system stayed broken until the class was out, the lesson ruined and the teacher had to deal with the class, without a classroom - meaning lots of hassle chasing the kids to keep them together (the teacher is responsible for all of them).

as bad as it sounds, it made the teachers work hard to keep the equipment safe, instead of giving the kids an assignment and dosing off behind their own workstation, and narrowed my job to actual system administration, instead of non stop pc-tech stuff repairing those workstations and other equipment
                              ________
                              Iolite Vaporizer Review
                              Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:11.
                              Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Working...
                              X