Always online

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always online

Can anyone suggest a reason as to why two of my friends here in the UK using Vista on new PCs are obliged to stay online all the time the PC is on. One uses Sky Broadband the other BT. Presumably there must be something in there Startup files forcing them to connect online as soon as the switch on. I should add both are quite novices to using PCs.

Re: Always online

Replace the modem with a proper router and be in control!

IIRC Sky use your connection (and your PC) to share out their programs to other Sky users
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for your help. I always supected there was a reason why Sky were prepared to offer free Broadband even to its subscribers. But I wonder if other uses of wonderfull BT broadband using Vista also find they cannot avoid staying online all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        IIRC Sky use your connection (and your PC) to share out their programs to other Sky users
        Honestly - the sneaky buggers!!
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X