Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoHo Nework: Wireless V wireless

Dealing with a small office here

Their wireless router is in another office across the corridor.

There are only two comptuers. (these two computers - get their internet from this router)

The user of these two computers - would like the data synched as much as possible.
    especially their Quickbooks accounts package.

Should the wireless router be used to connect them up? What is the best way to synch the data on the two systems? mainly Word, Excel, and Picture files. - What are the main difference between a wireless network connection and a connection via a router - eg. will all the shared files appear in "My Network Places"?

any suggestions appreciated.

Re: SoHo Nework: Wireless V wireless

QuickBooks does NOT like to run across a wireless connection. Don't know why as I have only seen the posts in the Melb SBS Users Group mail lists about the database not liking wireless. (QuickBooks alos needs to be a multi-user version if more than 1 user is going to be accessing it at the same time.)

Create a SHARE on the Target machine and map a drive to it. This way the data (word, Excel etc ) is available to everyone who uses the "network" .
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Biggles, I think you just saved my hours of work!

How would you change the setup re: Wired V Wireless?

So on the main machine, there is about a dozen folders, Accounts1, Supplier List etc.
      Would you start to share all of these folders individually?

Comment

If the folders are for general access by all users on your network, then I would MOVE them into a folder (possibly called COMMON) and then share that folder. All folders and files under that Share Name will then be available once a drive is mapped to it. (To others, yes I know there are other ways to access the share but a drive mapping is the easiest).

Make sure that user accounts are created on the SHARE machine to match all users that need to connect to the Shared Folder.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X