Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• internet load balancing

Hi,
    I got two internet lines coming from two different ISP. For load balancing my Internet traffic what I have done is I defined default gateway of 1/2 of my clients as address of router that is connected to 1st ISP and 1/2 of my clients are having default gateway address of 2nd router connected to 2nd ISP. At the moment we cann't afford to buy a hardware solution for load balancing the traffice. Is it any way I can implement it on software. I have one windows 2003 server sitting as spare. I want to achive internet load balancing dynamically. What I mean in future if I start allocating default gateway address it will not affect load balancing. The software solution that I would use, should be able to balance my internet traffic according to available bandwidth from ISP. The ASCII diagram of my network is

ISP1 ---- Router1
    ------------- Switch ---------- Clients
    ISP2 --- Router 2

I want it to make it like

ISP1 ---- Router1
    ------------ load balancing software --------Switch -------- Clients
    ISP2 --- Router 2 hosted on Win 2003 router

Would ISA server allow me to do it? or any other utility? If any one know software solution that could help me to achieve the scenario above please inform me.
    Regards

Re: internet load balancing

Hi,

I think you should look into one router with two interfaces for your internet lines or another router to sit behind your current two. (Either way you end up with a single point of failure). Routers are actually meant to choose the most efficient route (if correctly configured) and I think this is what is required?
    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Moved to networking forum
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The problem with us we cann't change router. We already have 2 routers connected to 2 diffrent ISP. I cann't replace those with one. So I am looking work around it. Is it any software solution or any MS Server will do the task?

Comment

Why can't you change the routers? Yes, it will cost....
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I don't know of a specific way to accomplish your goal but your current method is not a good one. You are splitting the clients across the two lines but that is not splitting the traffic as there's no way to know or control which clients are using more bandwidth than others. Maybe all the users on line 1 are downloading files and none of the users on line 2 are, that's not very good load balancing is it? What you need is another device that can determine the utilization of line 1 and 2 and select the path with the lowest utilization (cost). This third device would be the default gateway for all of your clients.

Comment

If you are using cisco routers you could configure GLBP on the two routers assuming they share the same LAN connection. This is NOT a perfect solution but would help to balance your outbound traffic. There is not much you can do about return traffic. Are you using the same public IP address space on both ISP's or do you have two addresses - one from each ISP? This can make a big difference in terms of inbound traffic. If you were to only have one address only one ISP would be the preferred path for transient traffic. Traffic originated within the ISP's own IP cloud would stay within that cloud but traffic from other carriers or providers would take the best path only for inbound traffic. GLBP has more features and capabilities then say HSRP in a Cisco solution. You can set parameters for load sharing with GLBP. If you have Cisco read up on GLBP and see if it will fit your particular scenario.

Comment

Hi,

Maebe Re: internet load balancing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Hi,

I think you should look into one router with two interfaces for your internet lines or another router to sit behind your current two. (Either way you end up with a single point of failure). Routers are actually meant to choose the most efficient route (if correctly configured) and I think this is what is required?

So if I put win2003 machine with routing and remote access service enable setting behind my two routers. would win2003 would be able to load balance dynamically.

Router1 ----------
                |
                ----------------- win2003 ----- switch ------ pc
                |
                Router2-----------

what do you guys recomend? will this solution work.

Comment

No, it cannot "load balance" in the way you want. It has no way of knowing how much traffic is flowing through each ISP connection. What you might look into is a router that would allow you to "multilink" or "bond" the two ISP connections together and load balance the traffic. You need something with the intelligence to determine the utilization on the two connections and balance the traffic load equally. Load balancing the number of connections or clients does not take into account the amount of traffic used by each connection or client.

Comment

It is not possible to multilink to different ISPs. The best you can do is get some semblance of load sharing outbound by using something like GLBP or HSRP or VRPP. In my opinion GLBP provides the easiest configuration for load sharing. You will never get true load balancing in your scenario but you can get some sharing.

Comment

Working...
                    X