No announcement yet.

Remote Administration

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Administration

Hi all,
    I need advice. I am restructing my network, bringing more servers,switches and routers. I am wondering which remote support software would be better. I had been using Remote desktop from Microsoft. I read on diffrent web sites that remote desktop is slow because it uses RDP over TCP. I used VNC but came to know VNC is unsecure. Any recomendations for good remote support software.

Re: Remote Administration

Remote Desktop - I have never known it to be "slow". But if you really insist on it, you could do worse than PCAnywhere, or you could BUY the ENTERPRISE version of RealVNC - it has Windows (Kerberos) authentication capability (full - can authenticate to a domain), plus a pretty strong encryption between client and server.

There are many, many different Remote Desktop programs and it would really depend upon your needs and the capabilities of the software.

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

We use Remote Desktop for all connections to server and have never known it to be slow (unless it's over a really high latency wan link) plus it's free

Michael Armstrong
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Another vote for RD. Even mac version works like a treat.
        Leave 'reputation' when deserved :

Dameware is another cool tool for Remote administration. Its has many facilities like no need of the client software or the service on the target machine. It will automatically install nad remove the service with proper options enabled.