Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crossed linked cabel to switch>?

hi all,
    i would like to know if a crossed linked cabel from an XP pro based computer can work
    when its connected to a switch. should it connect to the internet? and lan?

at my work place we have 5 switches. 4 new of 42 slots and 1 old switch with 16 slots.
    the thing is when i checked a problem i found out that there is a computer that is accessing to the internet using a crossed linked network cabel. can it be??

or im not checking it well.
    i was sure that crossed linked cabel cant work between a computer to a switch.
    also when i take the cabel out of the old 16 slot switch and use it with the new switches
    the whole network is not responding.
    what can it be?

thnx for any help.

Re: crossed linked cabel to switch>?

Normally you do NOT use a cross-over cable unless you want to directly link 2 PCs.
    PC to switch uses straight cables.

In the bad old days, IIRC, switch to switch (or switch to router) needed a cross-over cable (or sometimes had a separate uplink port that was already crossed) but (AFAIK) all network equipment now autosenses the connection needed.

I would put the cross-over away and connect everything with normal patch cables and see what happens
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hey.Dn't we use cross over cables to connect 2 switches.So may be 1 user pull out one end and fixed it in to his NIC.

Comment

See my above. Most switches nowadays have no need for special cables to uplink to another switch
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X