installation dilemma

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installation dilemma

hope someone can help

i've got a belkin N1 F5d8231-4 router

I'd like to install a dsl line however the internet supplier to give a continuous connection must sell me a siemens adsl sl2-141 which is ALSO a modem/router
    802.11 b/g

i do not wish to get rid of the belkin which delivers higher speeds than the siemens.

Can i install the belkin "wired" to the siemens and use IT (belkin) as the main router?

if i don't "buy" the siemens the supplier's modem is only with a dial-up connection?

how would i set up the belkin in order to accept the dial up and from there use is as a router?

can please someone try to help

Re: installation dilemma

Just because they have to give it to you doesn't mean you have to use it. Get the DSL connection, put the Siemens router in your desk drawer and use the Belkin. Worst case scenario is you have to use the Siemens as a backup in case the Belkin ever breaks.

As long as the connection settings are known.
      Some ISPs sell you a preconfigured router where you have no access to the settings.

When you say "higher speed" do you mean on the LAN side (e.g. gigabit vs 100Mbit)?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

I think customise their settings in the modems so you can't use other modems on their network. I bet you can't even login to the modem to view the settings.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015