Add New Printer to Network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add New Printer to Network

New to networking and although Iíve installed printers to workstations, Iíve never installed a new printer to a server. I only know that an IP address is to be reserved for the new printer if the printer software does not scan the network and find an unused address. If there is a simple how to with pictures I would appreciate it. This is a Server 2003 environment and I believe that we will be getting an HP network printer. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Re: Add New Printer to Network

Set the printer with a static IP, run the Add Printer wizard. Select local printer, uncheck the box, hit next.

Hit Create a new port (TCP/IP), go through the wizard (it's like 1 page), enter in the printer's IP, finish that wizard.

Point the Add Printer wizard to the correct driver, you're done. Then config the printer with the correct settings / share permissions / whatever you need, and you're done.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

That covers it nicely!

The only thing I would add is to make sure the printer IP is excluded from any DHCP scopes.

If it's HP, I have a sneaking suspicion the setup wizard on their CD will do much of it for you.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Some of the more recent HP driver installs with their custom software can take 20 minutes. I just install the drivers from the website, trim and works everytime.

Comment

Working...
        X