Wired / Wireless home workgroup sharing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wired / Wireless home workgroup sharing

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I want to make sure I have all the info listed.

Here's the setup:
    • Windows Server 2003 R2 box (being used as a webserver, not a domain)- connected to router
    • Windows XP Media Center box - connected to router
    • Windows XP Media Center box (yes, a second one) - connected wireless to router
    • Windows XP Pro laptop - connected wireless to router
    • Windows Vista Home Premium - connected wireless to router

All connected to the same workgroup. All can connect to the interview via the router

Here's the issue:
    • The 2 PC's connected to the router can share files between each other flawlessly
    • The 1 wireless Vista machine can also share files between both
    • The 2 wireless XP machines can see the workgroup, but cannot connect to it (network not found)
    • The 2 connected PCs cannot see either wireless machine in the network places

I'm at a loss. I've enabled NetBios TCP/IP on each XP and the Windows server devices. Any ideas what part I am missing?
    They keep getting younger, don't they baby...

Compaq Presario PC: Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard / Intel Celeron 2.6 ghz / 1 gb RAM
    HP m7470n Media Center PC: Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 / AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.19 ghz / 2 gb RAM
    Toshiba Satellite M35 Special Edition: Windows XP Pro SP2 / Intel Pentium M 1.70 ghz / 1 gb RAM
    Gateway FMC-901 Media Center PC Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 / Intel Pentium 4 3.0 ghz / 512 mb RAM

Re: Wired / Wireless home workgroup sharing

Double check that the workstation and server services are running on all devices. Also check that file & printer sharing and the MS client is enabled on the properties of all NIC's. Make sure that the Windows (or third party) firewall is not getting in the way.

Comment

Windows Firewall is disabled
      TrendMicro PC-Cillin is running on both the Media Center PCs, set to "low"

All the sharing / client setting are there (as far as I can tell)

My theory is that it's something to do with the wireless adapter, since I had the same issue with both my laptop (Intel integrated wireless) and the Gateway FMC Media Center (Dynex USB Wireless adapter). I just don't know where to look next.

Compaq Presario PC: Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard / Intel Celeron 2.6 ghz / 1 gb RAM
      HP m7470n Media Center PC: Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 / AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.19 ghz / 2 gb RAM
      Toshiba Satellite M35 Special Edition: Windows XP Pro SP2 / Intel Pentium M 1.70 ghz / 1 gb RAM
      Gateway FMC-901 Media Center PC Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 / Intel Pentium 4 3.0 ghz / 512 mb RAM

Comment

This may sound dumb, but could it be the ip addresses on the wireless computers? Maybe the subnet is different from your wired computers.

Comment

Hmm...not sure. On my router (Netgear WGT624), I've got each device (both wired and wireless) set on their own reserved IP address (192.168.0.xx) all within the allowed DHCP range. Just to be safe, I went ahead and manually set each device's IP address, subnet, and gateway (except the Vista machine, since it's my wife's and I try not to screw with it too much) to match the reserved numbers from the router I set up.

What irks me is that the Vista laptop connects just fine. I swear, it's the only thing on Vista I've seen work cleanly the first time.

***EDIT*** It was the firewall after all. For whatever reason, the "low" setting still disables filesharing via wireless, but allows it via wired connection. Strange.
          Last edited by Norcross; 18th December 2007, 17:21. Reason: Additional Info

Comment

Working...
          X