No announcement yet.

PCs drop their network connection-why?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCs drop their network connection-why?

I have a small network of 6 PCs and 1 windows 2003 domain controller with AD.
    PCs keep dropping their network connection every day. We see the red x through the local area connection icon. Internet connectivity is fed from a netopia DSL modem to a netgear Prosafe router. I even tried changing to static IP from DHCP. Any idea why connections would drop like this ? What is the best practice for getting IP address to the PCs?: Router or the domain controller? I included 2 typical errors in this thread.
    Thank You,

The DNS server is configured to forward to a non-recursive DNS
    server at

DNS servers in forwarders list MUST be configured to process
    recursive queries.
    1) fix the forwarder ( to allow recursion
    - connect to it with DNS Manager
    - bring up server properties
    - open "Advanced" tab
    - uncheck "Disable Recursion"
    - click OK
    2) remove this forwarder from this servers forwarders list
    - DNS Manager
    - bring up server properties
    - open "Forwarders" tab
    - remove ( from list of forwarders
    - click OK

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

Source=side by side

Generate Activation Context failed for C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a 1e18e3b_8.0.50727.42_x-ww_dec6ddd2\MFC80.DLL. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.
    The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs) for network adapter
    with settings:

Adapter Name : {EA01976B-6EAB-4C4F-99EC-CE02DDBE22EC}
    Host Name : RECEPTION
    Primary Domain Suffix : mydomain.COM
    DNS server list :
    Sent update to server :
    IP Address(es) :
    The reason the system could not register these RRs was because the DNS server failed the update request. The most likely cause of this is that the authoritative DNS server required to process this update request has a lock in place on the zone, probably because a zone transfer is in progress.

You can manually retry DNS registration of the network adapter and its settings by typing "ipconfig /registerdns" at the command prompt. If problems still persist, contact your DNS server or network systems administrator.

Re: PCs drop their network connection-why?

When the PCs loose there connection, does this happen to all of the comptuers? or just a few at a time?

If everyone is dropping their connection, you may be looking at a fauly switch or whatever your connectivity device is. Make sure it's on a UPS as well, faulty power outlets have been an issue before.
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

How long does it take for the connections to "drop"?
      Do they fail on every machine or just some of them?
      Departed: 23rd December 2015

It happens to 4 out of the 6 PCs and it occurs about every 2 days or so, but not consistently. I thought it was a DHCP lease issue at first but then it continued happening after I made them static IP.