Tool for Network traffic monitoring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool for Network traffic monitoring

Hi I have a System in my office for public use. Like for checking personal mails(yahoo, gmail), accessing rapidshare, youtube ...etc.... Now I want to monitor the traffic that is going through that system. Suppose if any person sends out his resume using gmail to some other person, I should be able to capture that event and should be able to see the content of that mail....

Please let me know which software is suitable for my requirement. I am also interested have a appliance for this requirement if that suits best for my org

Thanks,
    Sitaram

Re: Tool for Network traffic monitoring

I think what you may be more interested in is a web filter, such as Barracuda, Surf Control, etc. than a network traffic monitor such as wireshark/ethereal.

We have a web filter in our enviroment, which we place behind our firewall. It allows us to set rules as to what sites are allowed and blocked for users. It will also let us pull a log for a certain user to see where they have been that day or it will let us pull a log as to who has visited a certain site. Barracuda is cheap, Surf Control is more powerful and expensive. We use a product called iPrism, which has some great reports and it more expensive than the Surf Control.
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Re: Tool for Network traffic monitoring

Originally posted by charlsteve View Post
      Suppose if any person sends out his resume using gmail to some other person, I should be able to capture that event and should be able to see the content of that mail....
      Be aware of the privacy laws in your country as an action like this may breach them and depending on your country leave you open for prosecution.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
      X