problem copying files between subnets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem copying files between subnets

Hi, i'm new at this form and i come here because i really need help.

I have segmented my network with vlans, all servers are in one vlan, client winxp pc's at another. Now when i copy files from client pc to server i get error "the network name is no longer available" and in client pc event log i see "The redirector failed to determine the connection type". I can successfully ping all pc's between vlans, i could connect to them, browse by \\computername but coping is awful. Smallest files copy better, large one worse, sometimes i could copy the same file, later not.
    PC's that are in the same vlan as servers has no such problems.

Routing between vlans is done by linux router. First i thought it is because of MTU. I found that i need WINS to retrieve netbios name between different network segments, so i installed WINS on my win2k3 server, and assigned it to all clients via dhcp, cheked if it works with nblookup.exe, but that didn't helped.

I disabled Oplock in server, changed IsDomainMaster=TRUE, installed some hotfix and did lot's of other stuff, but nothing helps. I have no idea anymore, so please help me.. Thanks

Re: problem copying files between subnets

Hi favorit.

Does the Linux box provide any other services besides routing?
    What is the speed of the NICs installed?
    Are you able to test with another (fast) router? i.e. L3 switch?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi Jeremy,
      Linux also provides DHCP service, it has implemented all vlan interfaces that hp procurve has. Nework adapter is intel pro MT 1000, but for now connected to 100Mb FD link at hp procurve. For routing linux has this:
      echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
      iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING --o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

I could give more detailed config of linux interfaces and hp procurve if that helps.

Comment

Well I really don't know jack about Linux (yet) so "echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
        iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING --o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
        "
        doesn't mean much to me.

You have a router-on-a-stick setup, correct? (one NIC on the router, router's switch port is a member of all the VLANs it routes to)

Have you tried putting another NIC in the Linux box, one for each VLAN? It could be that it's just too much traffic on the one port. Using the router-on-a-stick configuration means that all routed traffic will flow through the router's port twice.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Those commands just enable traffic between different vlans, without them i couldn't see pc's on other subnet.
          Linux router has only one NIC, and it's member of servers vlan, but has all vlan interfaces like the switch has and linux box is gw for all vlans. I don't need extra NIC for each vlan because i use hp procurve switch to devide network to subnets. Another way to implement this is not to use swicth wich supports vlan and use separate NIC for each VLAN (i think bad idea, because i want to have about 5 or more vlans).
          For now i have only two vlans, one for servers and lot's of other client pc's and one "test" vlan for one of my company's with about 20-30 pc's, so i don't think it's traffic problem. For example FTP, HTTP traffic works well, it's just problem with local trafic between different subnets using windows smb. Ping is also good even with bigger packet size. I tested with iperf tool for network speed between subnets and it's ok.

Comment

I know you installed WINS and things are resolving but have you tried tried using the IP address instead? (e.g. \\10.0.0.12\share)

Originally posted by favorit View Post
            Linux router has only one NIC, and it's member of servers vlan, but has all vlan interfaces like the switch has and linux box is gw for all vlans. I don't need extra NIC for each vlan because i use hp procurve switch to devide network to subnets. Another way to implement this is not to use swicth wich supports vlan and use separate NIC for each VLAN
            OK, I understand VLANs and have worked quite a bit with them. I'm just trying to help you find the source of the problem. If you don't have another NIC that you can test with then fine, we'll try something else.

(i think bad idea, because i want to have about 5 or more vlans)
            You may want to look in to getting a L3 switch. You can get a ProCurve 2626 for about $500 USD.

For now i have only two vlans, one for servers and lot's of other client pc's and one "test" vlan for one of my company's with about 20-30 pc's, so i don't think it's traffic problem. For example FTP, HTTP traffic works well, it's just problem with local trafic between different subnets using windows smb. Ping is also good even with bigger packet size. I tested with iperf tool for network speed between subnets and it's ok.
            OK, this brings up another question, where is your Internet connection connected to? The switch? Directly to the Linux box? Do you have any web servers or ftp servers on the server VLAN? If so, how is the performance?
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I came across this. I don't know if it will help in your configuration of Linux
              http://www.gurulabs.com/goodies/routeronastick.php
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

yes, i tried with \\ipaddress\share it's the same

I have Hp ProCurve 2626, but if i remember it doesn't support routing between vlans. And also using linux router for that gives me possibility to use dhcp for example and assign different ip range for different subnet.

for internet i have SnapGear530 for servers, and SnapGear300 for workstations, they both connected directly to hp procurve to main (servers vlan). I have webserver/mailserver/dbserver all connected directly to procurve servers vlan.

perfomance is good everywhere in main vlan, problems are between vlan. All other pc in main vlan use another linux with Squid as gw (this linux has SG300 router as gw and servers gw is SG530, only pc's in new vlan use linux box as gw (linux gw is snapgear router). later when fix this problem i devide network to more subnets and in main i'll leave only servers, linux box and routers.

before all pc's in new vlan where connected to the same port but where in the main vlan and used linux server with Squid as gw - everything was good. problem is in linux box, procurve or windows samba - (problem with network traffic routing)

I could draw a netowrk topology sheme if this would help

Comment

please make a drawing.

Also i questioned myself why you are using a linuxbox?
                  According this document the switch should allow routing (layer 3).
                  http://www.hp.com/rnd/products/switc...s/features.htm
                  Layer 3 routing

Basic IP routing: enables automatic routing to the connected VLANs and up to 16 static routes--including one default route--in IP networks
                  If you're switch is to old to support this, maybe a ios upgrade will help.
                  Otherwise i would suggest to use a real router instead or just replace the switch.
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Like Marcel said, the 2626 is a L3 switch and should be able to take care of your routing. Here's a link to the manual:
                    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/soft...-IProuting.pdf
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by favorit View Post
                      I could draw a netowrk topology sheme if this would help
                      Yes please. It sounds like there might be some unnecessary complexity and maybe some misconfiguration.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I would really like this work with linux router, as for now i'm using another linux-box router in the main vlan as gw for all workstations with Squid, DHCP, ..

With linux i can have lot's of vlan interfaces and configure my DHCP to assign ip from different subnets by looking interface it comes. Then i could also play with iptables: enable for example form all vlans see servers vlan, but not to see other vlans and more acept/drop rules. I could use more linux stuff like seeing traffic from vlans and so on.

I attached my network topology scheme.

p.s. now i have static route on my file server to access 192.168.11.0/24 network directly through linux gw (not by extra SG530 which also have route to .11.0/24 network). I did this to be sure that diferent hops won't be an issue.

Thanks for helping me!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Btw in our daughter company at different location linux-box route traffic between vlans on hp procurve so i know it has to work. But sadly admin at that place couldn't help me solve this problem. He says it is all the same and it works, difference is that he don't have any WAN routers just linux-box for all that and there is only one WAN link (i have two - therefore two SG routers)

Comment

OK, now I have some questions:
                            - why do you need two WAN routers?
                            - did the servers always have static routes to VLAN 11 or did you just configure them?

With linux i can have lot's of vlan interfaces and configure my DHCP to assign ip from different subnets by looking interface it comes. Then i could also play with iptables: enable for example form all vlans see servers vlan, but not to see other vlans and more acept/drop rules. I could use more linux stuff like seeing traffic from vlans and so on.
                            All of this stuff can be done without having the Linux box serve as a router.

Can you zip the .vsd file and attach it to a post and I will draw up how I think you should configure the network.
                            Regards,
                            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I have two WAN routers because i have two internet lines from my ISP. Point of this that all workstations go to net through one and all servers (web, mail) through other. I don't want traffic to mix up and get overloaded by users. Also servers line has better speed to abroad, and user have slowest one.

No, other servers do not have static routes, as i mentioned static route to 192.168.11.0/24 network is added at SG530. So servers could also access other vlans. I though it can be problem so i added static route to server directly (they are on the same subnet)

Was:
                              vlan11_pc -> linux_router -> server
                              server -> SG530 -> linux_router -> vlan11_pc
                              changed to:
                              server -> linux_router -> vlan11_pc

i don't want servers to have linux as gw, because it will have limitations for users on it and it is better perfomance access net directly by WAN router.

I attached zipped vsd. Thanks
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X