Can't disable network adapter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't disable network adapter

My system is XP 64, SP 2, on an Intel S5000XVN MB, with two on board Pro/1000 EB gigabit NICs. I want to disable one of them, but when I try, I receive an error message of "It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connetion may be using on or more protocols that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated by another user ..." There is no other user or service accessing the network on that NIC at the time. The error message appears even when I disconnect the cable. I am an admin on the system. The connection uses Client for MS, VMware Bridge Protocol, F&P Sharing, QoS packet Scheduler, and TCP/IP. I went into Network Connections and unchecked VMware Bridge Protocol from the one adapter that I want to disable, but that didn't help. Thanks!
    JimmyW

Re: Can't disable network adapter

If it's not a big deal that you disable the NIC in Windows, you could always look at disabling the NIC at the BIOS level.
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Thanks. The BIOS approach wouldn't be very practical, as I'd have to reboot to enable/disable. I updated my drivers and installed Intel ProNet, and that resolved the issue.
      JimmyW

Comment

Very nice. When all else fails...update.
        MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Working...
        X