Copy multiple files across WAN simultaneously

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy multiple files across WAN simultaneously

I have a 45Mb data pipe between two sites. I want to copy a few backup files from one site to the other. I can do this by simply doing a copy or xcopy, but it is very slow.

I have read that the WAN latency has more to do with distance than bandwidth. If this is the case, is there a way to copy multiple files simultaneously each using there own amount of bandwidth? If I were copying 10 files, it seems that, as long as I don't max out my bandwidth, it would be 10 times faster.

Can anyone take me to school on this one????
    Thank you,

Marc

Re: Copy multiple files across WAN simultaneously

It's nothing to do with physical world distance, and more to do with the number of intervening devices - the "Network Distance" or number of hops. Each device in the chain adds delays to the packet; and copy/xcopy are both TCP protocol users - i.e. each piece of data needs acknowledging by the recipient.

You're far better off using a UDP-based file transfer utility/protocol such as (S?)FTP over a WAN - use FTP internally or inside a VPN tunnel by all means but use SFTP over the internet.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
      It's nothing to do with physical world distance, and more to do with the number of intervening devices - the "Network Distance" or number of hops. Each device in the chain adds delays to the packet; and copy/xcopy are both TCP protocol users - i.e. each piece of data needs acknowledging by the recipient.

You're far better off using a UDP-based file transfer utility/protocol such as (S?)FTP over a WAN - use FTP internally or inside a VPN tunnel by all means but use SFTP over the internet.
      Thank you. I will try setting up FTP. With FTP, can I maximize the bandwidth used? I guess that is what I am looking for. During off hours, make sure that I am using as much bandwidth as I can to make the job faster.
      Thank you,

Marc

Comment

Some FTP clients will have a facility to manage the bandwidth they use but mostly it is used to RESTRICT the bandwidth to allow other WAN-based functions to continue functioning. I suspect from this that the FTP protocol uses all of the available bandwidth unless told otherwise... so you should be OK.

If you want a client with bandwidth management you are probably going to have to pay for it.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
        X