Need Access To Large Files Remotely

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Access To Large Files Remotely

we have a new server running server 2003 everything works fine in the office but we have a few clients with laptops that need access to a 150mb database file and a 150mb quickbooks file remotely from outside the office. the problem is that the internet speed we have is quite slow here it's a satalite broadband (all we can get) ... i setup the server with the program hamachi which has worked quite well before but am having problems when accessing large files. what would be the best way to accomplish this??? i thought about using ftp but is there a way for them to access the files in real time off of the server?? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Re: Need Access To Large Files Remotely

This might be better in the networking forum!

If you are trying to access 300Mb of data over a relatively slow link it WILL take time.

Can you provide local (cached) copies of the data or does it change too often for that?

Have you considered terminal services -- the data stays local and the screen pixels travel!

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

sorry about posting in the wrong forum i apreciate u giving suggestions anyway... i don't think the offline files option would be a route theyd want to go since their financial software would be one of the files they'd be using they might say it's a security risk. it looks like terminal services is the way i'll have to go. ive tried it before but i lags a few second when you click and type though is this common or is there a way to speed it up??

Comment

Try and determine what the routing is like for the site. If you can improve that then you MAY see an improvement.

Other than that there isn't really too much you an do i'm afraid. Its a limitation by your ISP that is causing the issue.

Comment

The trouble is, most Database apps are not designed to work over a WAN. The problem isn't the actual bandwidth - you could have a Gigabit WAN connection which STILL didn't work with databases; it's the number of devices between the client and the server, and the latency (delays) which those devices introduce. Look at these hypothetical scenarios:

1 - LAN. Client sends packet to switch, switch sends to router, router sends to router, router sends to switch, switch sends to server.

2 - WAN. Client sends packet to switch, switch sends to router, router sends to firewall, sends to internet router, internet router sends to ISP, ISP routes packets via four routers internally and out to internet (insert several unknown hops here) feeds to employer's ISP, routes packet via three internal routers, sends to employer's internet router, sends to firewall, sends to router, sends to switch, sends to server.

In each case the reply route is ROUGHLY the reverse of the sent route however the internet route may vary widely. Each device encountered adds a few milliseconds to the packet's journey - maybe more if it has to wait for a slot at busy times. Database apps (smaller ones, anyway, like Access) usually aren't happy to deal with this latency; they require almost instantaneous communication with the server and if they don't get it, you get all sorts of performance, data integrity and time-out problems.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            Have you considered terminal services -- the data stays local and the screen pixels travel!
            I believe this would be the best solution. There are many ways to work it too. The usual TS. The web based remote control providers (GotMyPC and LogMeIn) or the old fashioned dial in to a PC with PCAnywhere, VNC, etc.
            I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
            Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Working...
            X