Opinions on WatchGuard Firebox 1000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on WatchGuard Firebox 1000

Long story short, I have the opportunity to pick up a WatchGuard Firebox 1000 (Model: F3064H) from work for cheap. It was at an offsite location, and as long as I've been here, it's putted away just fine. I know absolutely nothing about it.

Has anyone here used one, or have an opinion on it? If I do get it, I'd use it @ home and tinker with it.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Opinions on WatchGuard Firebox 1000

I inherited several of these at my current job. they are OK and we have not had any problems with them. For a SOHO environment I think they're fine. Like any firewall, you need to get acclimated to the Watchguard methods and terminology.

Comment

I personally think they are junk. We have had 2-3 Watchguard firewalls in the past 2 year. They have been replaced due to poor performance.

They are not as stable as say a Cisco ASA or PIX, IMO. For instance, yesterday we had to edit the ACL to our DMZ...after we may the edit, the box had to be rebooted to apply the changes. This is one case of many instances where the firewall has to be rebooted for minor changes. Also, it does not seem to handle VPN connections very well.

I have tried to convince my director that we need to move to a Cisco based solution, but the Senior network admin is someone partial to Watchguard for some reason and he gets his way more than me.
      Last edited by boondock; 8th November 2007, 16:54.
      MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Rebooting is usually only required when changing the image or setting up a log host on the X1000, but not when changing the policy.

Comment

Working...
        X