Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netgear DG384 as switch

Hi

What I need to change in this router's settings to get it working as switch. I switched off DHCP on it from my Vista laptop, but I do not have Internet on it. I cannot log onto it from my dekstop (Xp wit DHCP) but I have got Internet. Router's IP (BT Home Hub)- 192.168.1.254, Netgear IP 192.168.1.0

DHCP reservation on BTHomeHub - 192.168.60-80

Thanks

Re: Netgear DG384 as switch

Hi,

If you are trying to use this as a switch without the dsl connection, i am not sure if it will work; perhaps someone with this unit can confirm.

Edit;

If you are trying to use the BT device as the dsl device and the Netgear as a switch from there it won't work.
    Last edited by simonsays; 16th October 2007, 13:06.

Comment

What I am trying to do is I want to connect a desktop and a laptop to a router-as-a-switch (have spare one DG384) which is connected to BT Home Hub. I know that router is a switch without routing capability.

On another forum as was told this:

You use a router as a switch by turning off dhcp. You connect a crossover cable from one port on the to-be-used-as-switch router to one of the routers switched ports. This means you go from 4 possible ports to 6 possible ports [3 available on each].

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comment

on a normal switch, yes.

devices such as the unit you mention are designed to switch (and NAT if required) from WAN to LAN. The lan ports are on the other side of the dsl connection. It might be worth an e-mail to netgear technical to clarify.

you might end up purchasing something like this if you need more than one ethernet port.

hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by kulatowski View Post
          I switched off DHCP on it from my Vista laptop, but I do not have Internet on it.
          Does this mean that you disabled the DHCP server service on the Netgear device?

I cannot log onto it from my dekstop (Xp wit DHCP) but I have got Internet.
          Does this mean that from the desktop you can access the Internet but you cannot access the web interface for the Netgear?

Router's IP (BT Home Hub)- 192.168.1.254, Netgear IP 192.168.1.0

DHCP reservation on BTHomeHub - 192.168.60-80
          The IP address you listed for the Netgear I assume is a typo, correct? Does it have an IP address of 192.168.1.1?

At any rate, in theory it is possible to use the Netgear as a switch. Simply plug the LAN connection from the BT Home Hub to one of the LAN ports on the Netgear. You may or may not need to use a crossover cable. You will need to disable the DHCP service on the Netgear (which I think you've done).

Would it be possible to post a diagram of your setup?
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

You can use it as a switch instead of a router, you just need to use the LAN ports. You can run DHCP on the Netgear or on the BT, it doesn't really matter. the LAN ports on the Netgear are all Auto-sensing with Auto-uplink so no crossover cable is required. Connect one LAN port on the Netgear to the LAN port on the BT and you should be good to go. You don't need to change any settings on the Netgear as the router and firewall functionallity only affects traffic passing from the WAN port to the LAN ports and vice-versa. Traffic from one LAN port to any other LAN port is unaffected by routing, nat'ing, firewalling, etc.

Comment

Thanks for putting me right! I only tried this once with some *un-branded* thing which refused to work in this way!

Comment

Here's a novel thought, spent $15 on an 8 port mini switch and use the router for what is was designed for.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X