Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TTL/Ping Question

Hi -

I have a question about different TTL values returned by ping.

I know that TTL means "time to live" and that it is a field in the IP header...and that as packets traverse a network their TTL value is decrimented by 1 each time they pass a router...and when the TTL reaches zero you get an ICMP Time Exceeded error which is designed to prevent packets from being caught in an infinite loop.

OK, so we have 4 H.323 video conferencing units on our network. My boss called my at home and said one of our clients had been complaining that one out of the 4 H.323 units was transmitting bad video (unit 4)...and that they pinged all 4 units from their location, and the unit in question had latency issues.

So my boss asked me to ping them from my house to see if I saw anything out of the ordinary....and I didnt really....the return time for the ping was about the same for all 4 units....but the TTL values reported by the ping were different for the machine that the client was having problems with (TTL=243). The other 3 H.323 units had the same TTL (TTL=52)

The 4 H.323 units are all connected to our DMZ and are connected to the same switch.

Here is the result of the ping for one of the 3 units that is working ok:
    Pinging xxx.162.235.42 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from xxx.162.235.42: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=52
    Reply from xxx.162.235.42: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=52
    Reply from xxx.162.235.42: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=52
    Reply from xxx.162.235.42: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for xxx.162.235.42:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 45ms, Maximum = 51ms, Average = 47ms

And here is the result for the ping for the unit that the client says had problems (note the much higher TTL than the previous ping):
    Pinging yyy.162.235.43 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from yyy.162.235.43: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=243
    Reply from yyy.162.235.43: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=243
    Reply from yyy.162.235.43: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=243
    Reply from yyy.162.235.43: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for yyy.162.235.43:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 46ms, Maximum = 51ms, Average = 48ms

So here is what I was wondering: Why would the TTL be so different when I ping these devices? They are all on the same network, connected to the same switch....and this happens every time I attempt to ping them....when I ping "unit 4" I get a TTL of 243...but when I ping the other 3 units I get a TTL of 52....yet the return times for the packets are always roughly the same.

Is this higher TTL value in any way an indication of latency or a problem with that link? I am just trying to figure out what is going on and if the problem with the vidoe quality is on my end or the clients end. I would think that if there was a latency issue it would show up in the return time in the ping, but I am not sure, which is why I am here and asking you guys. And doesnt the ping client (or whatever network client you are running) set the TTL value?

Anyway thanks in advance for your help! I have tried to research this before coming here to post this question, but I couldnt find exactly what I was looking for, and I couldnt remember back to my first semester of grad school when we covered this in tcom systems 1.....so here I am.

Mike

Re: TTL/Ping Question

Hello,
    I believe you are at the point where you believe there may be a difference in routing for these addresses?
    Might you consider trying tracert or pathping to see if that will give you more information on the route/path to each device.
    For tracert you may have to adjust the hop count, so you may need something like
    Code:
    tracert -h <newhopcount> <ipaddress>
    tracert -h 40 192.168.1.1
    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Working...
    X