Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared Folders Connectivity Problems

Hi ,

This might be A bit complicated , or not..
    We run 4 Servers in one office , 3 of them are NT and we have terminals connecting to them , they all run on the same domain.
    the 4th server is just for storage , it has 500gb and a few shared directory's everyone can access.
    We have got 2 new Acer Desktop and i connected them to the network. they couldn't print on the printers so i added them to the domain.
    But when they access the shared folders , its going very very slow , i was trying to move their files and .pst files from one place to a new one using the Shared folders.
    it takes days...
    as against to different desktops that transfer 2gb from the shared folders in a few minutes.
    i am just trying to figure out why with the new computers it works slow and the other desktops it works realy fast.
    i am prety sure i did something wrong , could it be that i joined the domain twice from the same pc ?
    Please advice , The IT guy is on vacation and this guys want to kill me.
    Any help would be very appreciated , Thank you.

Re: Shared Folders Connectivity Problems

When you transfer, where does the CPU usage stand?
    Did you try updating the NIC to the latest drivers available?
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

The cpu and memory is low...
      Now also the outlook is causing big LAG'S

Comment

These Acer's do they have Celeron CPU's? And what are the specs of your CPU and RAM.

Also try adding a different NIC in there.

Comment

Just to back up a little why couldn't they print to the printers? Could they install them? How did joining the domain fix that?
          Is the windows firewall on?

Can you plug a known good computer into the wall socket one of the slow PCs is currently using, to test if it is infrastructure? If this known good PC works ok there check it's IP configuration. Are there any differences?
          Can we plug one of the problematic PCs into a known good wall socket?

This should help narrow the problem down some.
          I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
          Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Those are new Acer's , The compact one's .. Intel dual core 1.8 gh 4400 something like that with 2gb ram ,, they are super fast for a desktop , i mean.. you double click the ie ,, 1 sec its open ..
            at the moment , the domain is added to the computer but he is login localy , using the shared folders is still very slow and he cant add a printer from the network , only local printer.
            He is an assh0le so nobody is rushing to fix it...

Comment

Originally posted by Royski View Post
              Those are new Acer's , The compact one's .. Intel dual core 1.8 gh 4400 something like that with 2gb ram ,, they are super fast for a desktop , i mean.. you double click the ie ,, 1 sec its open ..
              at the moment , the domain is added to the computer but he is login localy , using the shared folders is still very slow and he cant add a printer from the network , only local printer.
              He is an assh0le so nobody is rushing to fix it...
              So you mean when people log into these new PC's they are not logging in as domain members? Also by any chance are you using a Cisco switch and also when you ping the server how is your response time from these PC's?

Comment

Working...
              X