Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tcp-Internet problem?

Hi People:

I joined a Windows XP PRO to A D domain (mixed 2003 and 2000 servers); all ip numbers are static,23 Worksatations, no DHCP,2003 server is the DNS server.
    The problem is that I can login the "new"' joined workstation to the domain,including printers browsing etc, but I can not surf the Internet with IE 7 ;
    the ip of that worksataion is within the domain scope . I tried to change the static numbers of the new workstation,several times - no results.

Thanks ahead for kind help

Re: tcp-Internet problem?

Could you please do an "IPCONFIG /ALL" and post the results here
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What about the Default gateway, is configured accordingly?
      Regards,
      Csaba Papp
      MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
      Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

thks nextxt and ossian for your kind help: the getway is configured right; I will submit asap the ipconfig table; meanwile,I did ipconfig /renew and release (even I have no DHCP server),and ipconfig /flushdns - nothing help; I think that this special ip static address is "locked" ,for some reason, but I don't know how to "release" it and re-use it .( Ping command from that workstation is working well)
        It seems that final resolution is being blocked: in trying to surf for certain http://www.xxx.yyy. etc, using IE7,shows the translation from URL into numbers - and then it stop.

Comment

IPCONFIG /RELEASE will only work with DHCP/APIPA addresses. If you are using a static address, nothing will happen.

Post the IPCONFIG/ALL from the problem PC and a good one and I'm sure we will work it out somehow
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thks ossian

sorry for my late answer
            b.txt

the file of the "problematic" wxp pro computer is attached - it is exactly similar to
            "successful" comptures' ipconfig files.

I could see a notice like "dns server error" when I try to surf the Internet from that computer.

The dns server (DESK) is W2003 server,the other DC is W2000

thks ahead of your helpb.txt

Comment

1. Open a command prompt and run nslookup www.yahoo.com Did it work?
              2. Is any proxy server used for Internet access? If not
              3. Try ping 87.248.113.14 was it successful?
              Regards,
              Csaba Papp
              Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

thx nextx

As I will be by the workstation, I will check the nslookup .
                There is no any proxy server ; I "did" several pings to several Internet sites - all succeeded !

As I am trying to surf, using IE7,the computer is translating the URL address into the ip numbers rightly, but - soon after,in 1-2 seconds - the computer reurns "unable to connect to Internet" .

Comment

If the name resolution and ping are working, open command prompt and
                  type the following command telnet www.yahoo.com 80
                  Was it successful?
                  Regards,
                  Csaba Papp

Comment

Hi,
                    Might you kindly check Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings. What is ticked and what is not?
                    I believe IE is misconfigured from what you have said. (Escpecially the part about being able to ping.) While you are not using a proxy IE may be set to use one.

Might you consider installing Firefox or another browser and testing it? (Choose not to import settings if that option presents itself).
                    Last edited by Maebe; 12th October 2007, 17:10.
                    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
                    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

thx TO Maebe,Netxt for kind help

I beleive now that the problem is not connected to any workstations; today I joined two "new" workstations to he Domain - all WXP PRO SP2,IE7 - and I got the same denial of Internet access - no matter IE7,Firefox,SeamMonkey,Opera. Of course I checked our firewall,switches,cables,etc.

I think the trouble is related to DNS Server (which installed in W2003 DC AD Server); most important: when I configure these troubled workstations with "old"
                      static ip's - static address that were used and employed sometime in the "past" - all is ok and IE7 working well.But when I am configure the same worksations with
                      "new" static ip's, ip's that had not been configured until now in our Domain - now
                      comes the Internet denial. I check our DNS configuration - I couldn't find any
                      reason for this situation.

If someone may help to solve this issue - many thnks in ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by yair View Post
                        But when I am configure the same worksations with
                        "new" static ip's, ip's that had not been configured until now in our Domain - now
                        comes the Internet denial.
                        In this configuration are you able to ping www.yahoo.com or 87.248.113.14?
                        Are these "new" static IPs in the same subnet as the old? Are they using the same gateway? Are you changing the DNS settings when you change the IP addresses?

Comment

please make some dns queries using nslookup and post the results.
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands
                          http://www.phetios.com
                          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

thks all

NSLOOKUP reportns.txt which succeeded and PING report to YAHOO pi.txt which failed, enclosed

All the "new" ,"problematic" static IP's are on the same subnet as the "older" ones; all are on the same gateway; the only item which is unique to each adapter is the host number,of course.

I have done on each new ip ipconfig/registerdns and ipconfig/flushdns - unfortunately, there is still no Internet connection

Comment

Hello,
                              What you have posted makes it look like your DNS is fine and the problem lies else where.
                              Would you mind now trying
                              Code:
                              tracert 87.248.113.14
                              on a workstation which works and on one of the problematic workstations?

I suspect a device someplace not accepting these new addresses and the tracert should tell us which device is having trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X