No announcement yet.

Strange Network Connectivity Problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Network Connectivity Problem

I am having a problem with a few network devices which do not want to talk to the network in their intended location. If I bring them back to my office and connect them they work fine.

I have tested and replaced network cabling, sockets on switches, ip addresses, computer names plugging them into another switch (when switches are in a stack) and am now unsure where to go next.

So far the count is 1 PC and 5 Access points.

Network makeup: Windows Server 2003 R2 network with HP 5308XL core switch connecting to 9 cabinets via gigabit fibre with 3Com 4400 perimeter switches. We are not using VLANS and the perimeter switches are reasobably unmanaged. These items of equipment have been working fine in their intended location for up to 2 years.

The PC will not get a DHCP address, will not log on with a static address.

The AP's have static addresses and cannot connect to our radius server and I cannot connect to the RUI via a browser.

All this works fine when in my office. No other networking issues have been reported.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Strange Network Connectivity Problem

We need to try break the problem down. To see it as smaller parts. When you give the PC a static address at the remote site can it ping its default gateway? Can it ping any of the other devices in that site?
    Can you ping past the default the main office.
    Draw a picture of your network, even if just for yourself, mark the subnets and see what can and what can't ping other subnets. Is this all working as expected?
    Have you tried pinging from your main office to the the remote office, to devices in the remote office?
    Tracert is another handy tool to use in cases like this. If you run tracert from the remote site back to the main site and vice-versa where does it fail? Does it fail?
    Are the APs routers? Are they connected to a another router? Where is the DHCP server?

The trick is to try see where connectivity is breaking down. If you can find where that is happening you'll solve this.
    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.