Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linksys router to switch problem

Hi

I have a Linksys WAG54GS ADSL router with wifi and 4 ethernet ports. This seems to be working OK.

I have attached to it a Linksys 8-port Workgroup switch. I have plugged the router cable into port number 1 (tried the "uplink port" but same result).

The problem arises when I attach PCs with cables of 5m length or greater. I lose connectivity (getting the dreaded 169.... ip addresses). PCs attached to the switch with short cables (1.5m / 2m) are absolutely fine.

When I plug the longer cables directly into the WAG54GS, I get my connections back.

The PCs are running XP, 2003SBS Server and Vista (yes, it's a test rig).

Have scoured around and scratched my head. Thought I had bad cables, but then they would not work in the router, would they?

If anyone has any ideas, they would be most gratefully received.

Thanks,

Marcel

Re: Linksys router to switch problem

Plug a cable from one of the 4 LAN ports on the Router into the 8 port switch. Connect the PCs to the 8 Port switch.

If that doesn't work, then make a drawing (using MS Paint or better) of exactly how you have everything connected and upload the image to this thread. Make sure you save the image as a JPG. Do NOT upload a BMP or TIFF. Ta.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Plug a cable from one of the 4 LAN ports on the Router into the 8 port switch. Connect the PCs to the 8 Port switch.

If that doesn't work, then make a drawing (using MS Paint or better) of exactly how you have everything connected and upload the image to this thread. Make sure you save the image as a JPG. Do NOT upload a BMP or TIFF. Ta.
      That is exactly what I did. However, those with longer cables failed. They worked again, however, when plugging them back into the router.

Strangely enough, I now have connectivity back in the long cables, but one of the short ones is now failing!!

Aaarrrgghhhh!!

Thanks for the reply, but due to the randomness I am going to change the switch (I only bought it yesterday) on the assumption it is faulty.

Thanks once again.

Comment

already used other cables?
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

cat5, cat5e, or cat6?

are the cables pre-made or did you make them?

do you have any other SOHO switches available to test? maybe a little 4 port workgroup switch, for example.

maybe you could try using a computer w/two NICs and ICS to simulate a second device... (i happen to be lucky and have two mobos with dual on-board NICs)

do you have any cable testing equipment? im really happy with my fluke DSP-4000 if you can shell out for one. it will pay for itself in lack of headaches alone.
          its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
          Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Working...
          X