Win xp and Vista compatibility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win xp and Vista compatibility

I have 10 systems in my company, of which 7 of them i have installed winxp and it is running fine 2 of which i have now put win vista and one i have win 98 the oldest operating system..

Now im facing a issue, I have previously done networking these 10 systems(pc) now i have re formatted those 2 new system and installed win vista over there,previously i have identity for each system,after reformatting those 2 new system i lost the identity. now i have a question can i able to easily network my systems to win xp and win 98 simultaneously or else i should change all the Pc TO WIN VISTA. Im just a novice in Networking.

Re: Win xp and Vista compatibility

hello dingo,

I'm a bit confused about your statement(s).

"I have previously done networking these 10 systems" How were they networked? If you go to My Network Places did they all show up in a 'workgroup' called MsHome/WORKGROUP?

"after reformatting those 2 new system i lost the identity" This may be resolved by changing the computer name, if that is what you are referring to. Unfortunately, my Vista experience is 0. In XP you would right-click on My Computer and use the Computer Name tab.

Comment

Re: Win xp and Vista compatibility

Vista will co-exist quite happily with XP computers. So mixing them is not the source of the problem at all. Can you be more explicit on exactly what problems you are facing? Do all computers need to share files and folders or printers with each other? Are the firewalls on the computers stopping the traffic that you wish to allow? Hopw do things change when you turn off the Windows firewalls? Tell us more about the exact problem, (but mixing these two operating systems is fine).
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
      X