Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless or not

Hi

Were about to move to a new office. Question is if we should use wireless or invest in drawing new wired network lan.

The idea should be that all servers and other important equipment would be hooked up with wired lan. And all the other approx 50 clients should go for wireless.

Could you guys provide me with Pros and Cons in this issue.

Regards
    Homer

EDIT: Cr***p I missed the Networking forum. Plz move....
    Last edited by mr_homer_s; 18th September 2007, 15:35.

Re: Wireless or not

Originally posted by mr_homer_s
    EDIT: Cr***p I missed the Networking forum. Plz move....
    Did you?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Unless there is a really really strong need for wireless, stuck with wired. Wireless is just not trouble free just yet, plus it adds complexity to security.

So I vote stay wired, unless these workstations are on the move.
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I have to agree with above.

If security or reliability (at a reasonable price) are issues for you, then I would stick to the wired.

Comment

I agree also, Stick with wired. You have greater speeds, security, and reliability.

Also if the workstations are on the move, you could invest in Docking Stations and require that when users are on the LAN then are Wired...
          Hope this helps.

Nate

My advice is provided AS IS, without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

pros wireless: no cables
            Cons wireless:
            Security is a bit poor. You should consider IPSEC for the traffic.
            54Mbit is shared just like a hub so speed reduces when multiple machines are conntected to the same accesspoint
            reliability isn't that high. You will loose on a regular base the connection.
            A good design is needed to place the access points correctly
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

The 54Mbps (assuming a G wireless network) is not shared, every wireless client gets their own 54Mbps connection to the WAP. What is shared is the uplink from the WAP to the rest of the core network. On most WAP's this is going to be a 100Mbps connection.

Comment

Assuming this is correct Joe, if 50 users connect to the one AP, they all get a 54mbps connection/throughput that is only limited by the copper stuff that connects it back to the switch.

So, assume that the AP has a gigabit connection to a gigabit switch. That means that each of the 50 wireless users has a 20mbps pipline to the server. Is this what your are saying? Just trying to make sure the OP clearly understands what you are posting.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes, in theory. In reality each client will probably communicate with the WAP at 20 to 25Mbps. In theory, if you could somehow channelize the 1 Gbps uplink to the switch then each user would be allocated a 20Mbps channel. More than likely each client will have different bandwidth requirements and will use more or less bandwidth than other clients. I think you would be hard pressed to get a client to saturate the entire 20-25Mbps wireless connection or to saturate the 20Mbps "channel" to the switch.

In our environment we have 800 users on a DS3 and we pump 60GB of data through the DS3 every day. Our peak bandwidth utilization per day is 15Mbps and our average utilization per day is 5Mbps.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the 54mb is shared.
                    I'll ask my colleague if i see him again. His job is sniffering and wireless..
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

I would have to side with Marcel on this one. The 802.11G 54mbps is a Shared Medium just like a hub. I checked with our Wireless Instructor (also CWNA Certified) and yes wireless is all a Shared Medium.

On a side note, Homer, I still recommend Wired Connections over Wireless.
                      Hope this helps.

Nate

My advice is provided AS IS, without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Im afraid I mispoke. It seems that I was wrong about the shared bandwidth and I have been living under false pretenses as it relates to wireless networking. My apologies.

Comment

No problem joeqwerty
                          I'm glad it sorted out

Edit: oh, my recommodation would also to choose wired.
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands

Comment

Thanks guys for your answers.

We have now moved to our new office and the result ended out to use only wired network. But (there always a but ), we have a wireless AP that is connected directly to the internet with no access to our computer environment.

Sweet.. right???

/Homer

Comment

Good choice to wire the production department.
                              Marcel
                              Technical Consultant
                              Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                              X