Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network into vlans or subnets

Sorry if this has been asked before!
    We have one large network. The ip’s 10.120.160.1 to 10.120.160.199 are reserved for static addresses.
    The dhcp dishes out address in the range 10.120.160.200 – 10.120.163.254. we have 400 PCs with about 30 of these being laptops.
    We have a server running windows 2003 as the domain controller running active directory and group policies, and 5 other servers doing various tasks.
    If I subnet the network do I need a separate domain controller for each subnet or can the existing domain controller do the task of dishing out address on two or more different subnets? Is this like creating ‘active directory sites’?
    How could I do it with VLANS?
    I hope this makes sense to someone!
    Cheers
    Ozydave

Re: Network into vlans or subnets

Hi Ozydave. Good questions.
    Originally posted by ozydave View Post
    If I subnet the network do I need a separate domain controller for each subnet or can the existing domain controller do the task of dishing out address on two or more different subnets?
    Sort answer: no, you don't need more DCs... technically speaking. If you separate your network into subnets then you'll need router(s) to route the traffic between subnets. Since there's no WAN links (or so I've gathered), you'll want wirespeed routing so getting a layer 3 switch might be a good idea.

Is this like creating ‘active directory sites’?
    Not really but you would definitely have two or more subnets when creating additional AD sites (there's one by default). AD sites represent the physical layout of your network so that AD can efficiently handle replication and authentication. Sites are usually defined for segments of a network that are separated by a WAN link. Though if for some reason you have a segment connected by a slow connection on the LAN, you may want to put a DC on the segment and define a site for it.

How could I do it with VLANS?
    VLANs are logical separations of broadcast domains over one or more switches. You can setup VLANs for each subnet but you will still need to route between them (this is where a layer 3 switch comes in).

More about VLANs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_LAN
    More about Broadcast Domains http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_domain

BTW - With as many computers as you have, you may want to invest in at least a second DC regardless of how many sites you have.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
    X