No announcement yet.

How do I prevent my pc from waking up ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I prevent my pc from waking up ?

Hello,

hopefully this froum can help me.

I have a pc running 24x7h with Windows XP SP2 and consuming energy all the time. How can I prevent the pc from waking up (resume from hibernation) every time a broadcast or some other ip-packet not directly adressed to its IP is received? I don't want to use magic-packets because then I MUST wake the pc up with magic packets. I want to have the possibility of waking up the system just by pinging its IP or accessing a network-share.

How can I do this?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: How do I prevent my pc from waking up ?

Put it in its own Broadcast Domain

To do this plug it directly into a router and give it its own discrete subnet or plug it into a switch put it on its own VLAN and give it its own subnet.
    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Check the advanced features of your NIC, you may have a Wake on Lan setting that will wake it on a Directed packet (instead of any packet).

Comment

First of all, thanks for your quick replies.

@joeqwerty

Especially for being able to use the feature you mentioned I installed an intel NIC and disabled the onboard NIC. But the pc wakes up even if I use the directed packets option. Shouldn't be but unfortunately it is.

@Maebe

I can't connect directly to my router (no cable). The router-option isn't an option because I want to install a 1GBit switch and especially the fileserver should be connected via 1GBit (router has only 100MBit). My switch (low cost) has no VLAN option neither will the new 1GBit-switch have (too expensive for SOHO). Or could you give me a hint for a cheap 5-8 port switch with vlan and 1GBit ?

Is there any other possibility?

Kind regards

TSCH
        Last edited by TSCH; 12th September 2007, 10:08.

Comment

Try it on a switch giving it it's own subnet, forgetting/ignoring the VLAN bit.

Comment

What do you have in the BIOS that can be disabled so your PC can keep sleeping?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Good morning guys,

@biggles77

Attached you'll find BIOS-screenshots. Anything wrong there?

@Maebe

Being no LAN-guru, how do I have to configure the network settings for TCPIP in Windows ?

Right now I have 5 systems with IP 172.17.199.1 to 5 and the router with .254
              Network mask is 255.255.255.0. DNS and Gateway is 172.17.199.254 (router).
              I must connect from every system via network-share to the fileserver 172.17.199.3 at the moment.
              What changes must I make to achieve the subnet you mean?

Thanks a lot to both of you for helping me.

Kindest regards

TSCH
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
                What I was thinking of was making two networks of your one and putting the sleeping PC on its own in one of the two. This could be done by dividing the current network address range in two or adding a new network range.
                Before doing anything you'll need to check if your router can be configured to handle two internal subnets. If this is a SOHO it may not have the functionality. To check this I'd check the make and model, look it up and browse/telnet to it. Most SOHO routers have a web interface these days so browsing would be better then telneting. You would be looking for a page called Routing.
                Tbh if you have such a page, getting things wrong there will cause problems. It may be best to leave it alone if you aren't comfortable working with it.

Does the sleeping PC need access outside your LAN? Or do those outside the LAN need access to it?

Comment

Hello Maebe,

I own a DrayTek Vigor 2500 which has a routing option in the ethernet configuration.
                  I can sitch it on/off and then I have a field for IP-adress and another one for network mask.

The "sleeping pc" needs no interaction with other system outside the lan.

Kindest regards

TSCH

Comment

Ok, if you are happy to try.

If we change the IP address of the "sleeping PC" from 172.17.199.3 to 172.17.200.3 or something similar where we change the third octet (172.17.x.3). We can leave the mask and gateway the same for it.

Now try ping any of the pcs in the old range say 172.17.199.4.
                    If this fails look to add a route to the router telling it that the new 172.17.x.0 network can be reached through its internal interface through its 172.17.199.254 address.
                    Try ping again from the "sleeping PC" to the other PCs.
                    If this fails then we can't do this without VLANs, on the router and on the switch. Remove any routes you added. Change the IP address on the "sleeping pc" back to 172.17.199.3 and it should all work like it did before you tried anything in this post.
                    If our pings work at any stage then we just change the mappings from 172.17.199.3 to 172.199.x.3 for whatever x you chose above.

Comment

Just a small interuption...
                      (I didn't read the whole thread)

Originally posted by Maebe View Post
                      Ok, if you are happy to try.

If we change the IP address of the "sleeping PC" from 172.17.199.3 to 172.17.200.3 or something similar where we change the third octet (172.17.x.3). We can leave the mask and gateway the same for it.
                      You need a gateway in it's own subnet.
                      Now try ping any of the pcs in the old range say 172.17.199.4.
                      If this fails look to add a route to the router telling it that the new 172.17.x.0 network can be reached through its internal interface through its 172.17.199.254 address.
                      Will fail because the gateway. You need to setup routing between both subnets.
                      Each subnet needs his own gateway. Between those you can setup routing to forward the packets.
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I think dumber is right.

Is there any chance using the TCP/IP-Filter in the network-settings to prevent the NIC to wake up the pc when receiving broadcasts?

Kind regards

TSCH

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                          Just a small interuption...
                          (I didn't read the whole thread)

You need a gateway in it's own subnet.

Will fail because the gateway. You need to setup routing between both subnets.
                          Each subnet needs his own gateway. Between those you can setup routing to forward the packets.
                          Usually yes but this is all off one switch. So I'd be counting on the switch really. As said without VLANs (+trunking the router to switch connection) it we are just trying it out.
                          Taking advantage of the single switch could we take it a step further maybe and add in routes to the PCs and route directly that way, having the switch's arp resolution/table take care of everything?

Comment

Can't see anything wrong with the BIOS settings. Of course if you were using a real CPU and not an AMD this problem wouldn't be happening.

One thing you could try is set the BIOS back to the Default setting, either Failsafe, Setup or whatever the options are. It may reset an option that was changed and forgotten or changed by a fiddler and your weren't informed about it.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Usually yes but this is all off one switch. So I'd be counting on the switch really. As said without VLANs (+trunking the router to switch connection) it we are just trying it out.
                              Taking advantage of the single switch could we take it a step further maybe and add in routes to the PCs and route directly that way, having the switch's arp resolution/table take care of everything?
                              And how can he contact the gateway in a different subnet?
                              Marcel
                              Technical Consultant
                              Netherlands
                              http://www.phetios.com
                              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                              X