No announcement yet.

IP Address

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP Address

I wonder how we can find the IP address of those who visit our web sites. My site below has a free Bravenet Visitor counter on it.

An IP address (Internet Protocol address) is a unique address that certain electronic devices use in order to identify and communicate with each other on a computer network utilizing the Internet Protocol standard (IP)—in simpler terms, a computer address. Any participating network device—including routers, computers, time-servers, printers, Internet fax machines, and some telephones—can have their own unique address.

In other words, the IP address acts as a locator for one IP device to find another and interact with it. It is not intended, however, to act as an identifier that always

An IP address can also be thought of as the equivalent of a street address or a phone number (compare: VoIP (voice over (the) internet protocol)) for a computer or other network device on the Internet. Just as each street address and phone number uniquely identifies a building or telephone, an IP address can uniquely identify a specific computer or other network device on a network. An IP address differs from other contact information, however, because the linkage of a user's IP address to his/her name is not publicly available information.

Further, an IP address is not necessarily linked, in a persistent way, to a physical location or even data link layer address.

In the past, an IP address could be considered a unique identifier of a particular IP host, in addition to being a locator. When it was usable as an identifier, it was static, and it was assumed to be globally unique from end to end of the Internet.

In current practice, an IP address is less likely to be an identifier, due to technologies such as:

Dynamic assignment, as with an address that is assigned by the access device by which the user's host connects over a dialup telephone line or by a set-top box for an IP over cable network
    Network address translation, where the address visible on the Internet is the "outside" of a device that maps it to a completely different and hidden address on the "inside"

Re: IP Address

Sorry, but WHAT was the point of this post? You answered your only question yourself - get a free counter and away you go.

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

The free Bravenet stats only I can interrogate such as below, do not show the IP addresses of the visitors and I doubt they would even if I paid for more details. I understand the address can be found which is why we get bombarded with so much spam !!

Free Website Statistics - Overview

Viewing Counter: BNC1572435
      Page Name: Download as CSV
      Double your traffic for free! Click here.
      Today's Traffic Summary September 05, 2007

Unique Visitors Today2
      Page Views Today 2
      First-Time Visitors 2
      Returning Visitors 0
      Uniques / Page Views100%

Errr what is the goal of this? why do you want to see each ip address who visits you're website?
        Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Purely out of curiosty, no unlawfull intentions of course.

I just thought if the spammers can find the addresses why should not I, especially as I do not get many visitors to my site, or pay anything to the search engines for peferential treatment.

It is the Internet system that is at fault not me. Only authorities like the Police should have the power to discover IP addresses, then perhaps I would not have to delete over 200 spam dumped into a junk folder by my server Orange at their web site every day.

I have my IIS log settings to track IP addresses (more important for the FTP side than the HTTP, but I have both).

In the log setting details, choose the option to log the IP addresses. Keep in mind that it can made for a VERY long file, as it tracks the IP address for each action, i.e. each image on the site loading will show a GET function.

I'm sure there is a way to isolate what you want to see, but I haven't looked at it too much.
            They keep getting younger, don't they baby...

Compaq Presario PC: Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard / Intel Celeron 2.6 ghz / 1 gb RAM
            HP m7470n Media Center PC: Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 / AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.19 ghz / 2 gb RAM
            Toshiba Satellite M35 Special Edition: Windows XP Pro SP2 / Intel Pentium M 1.70 ghz / 1 gb RAM
            Gateway FMC-901 Media Center PC Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 / Intel Pentium 4 3.0 ghz / 512 mb RAM

If your hosting company supports it, you can add some php to your home page and have it dump it's log into a mysql db... This would let you get all sorts of client info, IP, Browser Type, Time of Day, Requested Page, and any other variable php can pull.

Only catch is need a server with PHP and MySQL and ensure your not breaking any agreements with the hosting company. You would also have to recode you home page and build a page that would show the info in the DB...
              Hope this helps.

My advice is provided AS IS, without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Follow at your own risk.