Broadband Hacking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadband Hacking

I see on UK TV News this morning that there has been a rapid increase in instances of hacking into people’s wireless broadband connection by someone just outside your house, such as using a laptop. This is one reason why I have never bothered to upgrade my now ancient system using a USB connection, apart from the fact this PC is the only one I want to use on the Internet.

However I was under the impression that the likes of Norton Anti-virus and wonderful up to date Windows XP and Vista were supposed to have solved this problem. If this is not the case then how can we advise people to ensure they have full protection against this form of hacking.

Re: Broadband Hacking

Gordon,
    what has this got to do with Office 2003?
    You've been here long enough to know your way round the forums and you normally post in the correct place!
    Moved to General Networking

In answer to your question, all the security features in the world are no use if not enabled. Wireless Routers tend not to have a WEP or WPA key by default, so if people dont RTFM and set one up, anyone cruising by can hack in....
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Humblest apologies for clicking on the wrong thread ---- my eyesight.

But can you please explain in simple non tech text how we advise someone about this RTFM

Comment

Gordon,

RTFM = Read The Flipping Manual

Basically, when you get your wireless router / device simply read the manual. It will advise you best on how to secure the device with such methods as encryption, MAC Address Filtering and hiding your SID.

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Makes for some interesting Wardriving. http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...n&q=wardriving
          11 was a racehorse.
          22 was 12
          1111 race 1 day

************************************************** * ************************************************** ***********
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and click the LIKE option in the bottom right corner **
          ************************************************** ************************************************** ****** * *****

Comment

Thanks. But as I originally pointed out I am still using the old fashioned ( but much safer it appears ) USB connection.

However I will pass the information onto a number of friends with new PCs the latest Wiz wireless routers. As most of them are complete novices, whether they will understand the instructions in the manuals is a differnt matter. Hence the warnings on today's TV about the increase in broadband hacking.

As an example one husband and wife like me in they 70s have had a DELL PC for over a month, and still have not got the speakers plugges in by their sons. Also the husband claims after all this time he still cannot control the mouse, and has to get his wife to switch on and click the Printout and Send icons after typeing his Letters and Emails!!

Comment

IMHO as far as securing a wireless network is concerned, setting the SSID to not broadcast and using MAC address filtering are poor attempts at security. Once you associate a client machine with the WAP the client machine will send the SSID and it's own MAC address in every packet and anybody with a wireless sniffer can capture this information and use it to gain access to your wireless network. I would recommend that you use WPA as your security mechanism.

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post

However I was under the impression that the likes of Norton Anti-virus and wonderful up to date Windows XP and Vista were supposed to have solved this problem. If this is not the case then how can we advise people to ensure they have full protection against this form of hacking.
                The best security in the world on your PC will not protect the wireless broadband connection! Think about it - have a wireless broadband connection, and then turn off your PC. The PC is now totally secure, but people can still use the wireless connection. So having Norton etc on the PC makes no difference to the wireless part of things. So, as others have said, make the wireless secure AND the PC secure. you have to do both.
                Best wishes,
                PaulH.
                MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
                X