Wireless basics with domain network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless basics with domain network

I'm trying to find the best way to get a wireless router connected to my network, safely and securely.

I have a network with a domain running server 2003 w/ Netgear firewall/VPN box providing DHCP.
    In the back part of the office, I have a generic HUB breaking 1 line out into about 5 more. One of those is a linksys wireless router.
    I'm guessing I need a wireless hub, and not a router for this to work, but I currently DO have internet, but no network access.
    Is there a way to gain conectivity with what I have currently?
    I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
    Chris Robertson
    The Computer Doctor

Re: Wireless basics with domain network

Originally posted by crobertson View Post
    but I currently DO have internet, but no network access.
    Sorry, I am confused. Could you clarify exactly what you mean in the quote. Ta.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes, you can connect to the network and to the Internet with your current hardware. Your linksys wireless router is actually (1) a wireless access point, and (2) a router as well. The wireless access point can act happily to connect you to
      (A) The router (which happens to be the same box)
      and
      (B) The local area network.

I expect that your wireless router is also an ADSL modem too, so really it's 3 devices boxed up in one device. And if it has more than one LAN port on it, it is a hub too. Just because all these facilities come on one box makes many people confused about the separate functionality provided by them all.

You can get to the Internet, so your default gateway and DNS setting are OK, probably provided by the router's dhcp server, I'm guessing.

Please post here the results of IPCONFIG /ALL

Also, please say exactly what problems you are having connecting to the local area network. What devices can you ping? (Before running PING, temporarily turn off any software firewalls).

As Biggles says, we need more info.
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Originally posted by crobertson View Post
        but I currently DO have internet, but no network access.
        I'll venture a guess at what this means....
        My guess is that the a cable from the hub is connected to the WAN port on the wireless router and is therefore being NATted twice to get to the Internet. LAN connectivity is not working because of NAT (and maybe the firewall too).

To get it working with your current hardware, plug the cable from the hub into one of the LAN ports on the wireless router and disable DHCP on the wireless router.

Although this should work, in my experience, DHCP request have always had trouble when the wireless router isn't also the DHCP server. Getting a Wireless Access Point (aka "Access Point", "WAP", or just "AP") might be better in the long run just to save your sanity.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X