Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to network two PC's in DOS 6.0!?

Crazy question guys...
    I built two PC's for a Dry Cleaners recently...their former PC's were ancient dinosaurs networked with LANtastic 6.0 and BNC ISA cards. The actual program they use (and still use on the new PC's) is a DOS program. On a 486 CPU too.

Now, with the MUCH updated hardware changes, theres obviously no BNC ISA cards, however, I did purchase 2, BNC PCI cards instead. Really no need to change the cabling for what they do.

Now, I don't have LANtastic or have any knowledge at all of networking two computers in DOS 6.0. Basically, I just want to make it so the two share the database once again (so they can both make changes to the customers in their database, add new invoices, etc) from either PC. Just the regular, mapped network folder basically.

I guess I'm just spoiled using GUI's all my life to do practically all of it for me...can anyone give me some guidence on doing this? Any other programs other than LANtastic that may be easier? The BNC PCI cards we're using are Realtek RTL8029AS.

Thank you!!

Sam
    Last edited by stommy989; 17th August 2007, 07:11.

Re: How to network two PC's in DOS 6.0!?

geez... what a throw back.

hmmm... LANtastic did a good job at consolidating protocols and making networking in a DOS enviro much friendlier than previous attempts...

unfortunatly that was a long time ago. what is the status of the software? do you have the install disks?

if not, you could consider some dinasouar programs that will provide SMB and netBIOS/BEUI protocols so you can establish a session with the dB. like the "Microsoft LAN Manager Client for DOS", which is still available. dont expect any support...

read this ancient history for some links...
    http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/samba/dos.html

and good luck!!
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Swap the HDDs old PCs and put them in the new PCs (No blue screen to worry about) or ghost them onto new HDDs. Then the only thing to change is the NIC drivers. Are the 8029 the jumper or jumperless version? If jumperless theu you will need to run the configuration application to set the ports if the defaults are not correct.

Sorry I am about to die (well it feels like it). Post back if you want more info or can provide more info.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi guys,

It's already using the original HDD's...but doesn't have LANtastic on them (I deleted it because it was looking at the ISA cards and was messing it all up). Unfortunately, he doesn't have the disks for it anymore.

I believe the cards are the jumperless version...it has its own config diag utility, but doesn't have an actual installer for the drivers. Is there a special folder I need to extract the drivers to (ex. C:\DOS)? According to the diag utility, it can see the BNC connections individually, but can't find each other as Initiator/Responder.

I'll try LANman and see how I do! I guess it's just a matter of which folders to share, once the drivers are installed?

Comment

Novell Personal and Novell Lite were both easy to setup options. One for the future, ALWAYS make an image copy before deleting apps from old HDDs. I bet they don't have the original Lantastic software so reinstalling it won't be easy.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

To be honest I would tell them they need to spend money. Most if not all if there software is not actively supported and it will just get worse as time goes on.

A couple of new pcs with office pro and an access database would not cost a fortune or if they really like there database VM it and use windows to do the networking in the background.

Comment

I really tried convincing him into new software, but he won't budge since his customer database is in this program. This software does everything, including print out the dry cleaning tickets, etc, etc., so for him to upgrade the software would cost a couple thousand. He doesn't want to train his crew again on new software.

Anyways, I tried MSLANMAN...didn't work out (the files seemed to be corrupted upon installation). However, I did buy the ARTISOFT LANtastic 6.0 disks for $12 on eBay ... hopefully that make my life a lot easier...I let you know how it goes!

Comment

Working...
              X