Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving 2003 server to a different Domain

Hello,

What are the steps to moving a File Server to a different domain in a different location? My main fear is that when first change from the current domain to a worktation and restart the computer, I would need to enter the admin username and password to enter the desktop. I am hoping that when I restart the server, it will automaically go straight to the desktop. If that happens i can just take the server, go to the new locationa and join the domain like any other workstation.

Any suggestions will be appriciated.

Thank you,

Cesar

Re: Moving 2003 server to a different Domain

As long as you know the local administrator password, you can join the domain just like you would with a workstation.

As good practice, while you are on the old domain, change the server to be a workgroup member. This will remove the computer object from the original domain.
    Move it to the new domain, check DNS (and DHCP) are Working Ok and then run the wizard to join it to the new domain.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      As long as you know the local administrator password, you can join the domain just like you would with a workstation.

As good practice, while you are on the old domain, change the server to be a workgroup member. This will remove the computer object from the original domain.
      Move it to the new domain, check DNS (and DHCP) are Working Ok and then run the wizard to join it to the new domain.
      How do I change the local Admin password while I am still in the Domain?
      Last edited by [email protected]; 5th August 2007, 17:33.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        How do I change the local Admin password while I am still in the Domain?
        Assuming domain admins are local admins, log on to the server in questiojn with an administrator account, open computer management, locate the "Administrator" account, right click and "change password"
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Assuming domain admins are local admins, log on to the server in questiojn with an administrator account, open computer management, locate the "Administrator" account, right click and "change password"
          That is exactly what I've been looking for.

Thank you!!

Comment

Working...
          X