VPN/DNS issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN/DNS issues

My work has a VPN setup and we use the Cisco VPN client to connect to the network, authentication is via a RSA SecureID tokens. I make a VPN connection and use remote desktop into my windows box at work (via machine name, not IP address) I recently setup a domain at my house and with AD/DNS etc... My laptop is added to my domain here at home, now whenever I attempt to Remote Desktop into my windows box at work now (after making the VPN connection) it cannot resolve name to IP. I thought once I make the connection via the Cisco VPN client I am using my works DNS servers right? I can access my machine via IP, but would like to keep accessing by name in case of IP change. Has anyone else had this problem before? I hope this is clear as to the issue I am having. I also tried login locally to the machine and not on the domain and the issue still persists. If I try to ping my pc name it resolves to my WAN ip address.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by brcmadmin; 16th July 2007, 02:54.
    Be easy on me, I'm here to learn

Re: VPN/DNS issues

Can you not add a specific DNS entry for the VPN client?

Failing that you could always append the DNS suffix of your works namespace into the DNS suffix of your networkc onnection.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I am using my works DNS servers when I connect via VPN right?

Comment

Yes.

Think about it. Your works domain is work.local and your workstations host name is workstation. So it's FQDN is workstation.work.local. Your home domain is home.local

So, if you connect via VPN into work but your DNS is pointing to your home DNS server and you try to connect to workstation it will try and find workstation.home.local which does not exist. If you configure the VPN connection to use your works DNS server and traffic destined for that connection should be appended with the work.local domain.

Hope this makes sence

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

so I need to try to access via the FQDN?

Comment

Using the FQDN of your workstation at work will work as long as your DNS server (Ony our network) knows how to deal with the domain name. If it's windows 2003 set up a forwarder to forward all DNS requestst to @work.local to the IP address of your DNS server(s) at work

Forwarding can be found in the Windows 2003 DNS console (I would add an image but I'm not near a DNS server at the moment)

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X