Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Source Wireless Internet Solution

Hello everyone,

I'm looking into sharing (charging a small fee) an existing High Speed Internet (HSI) line via wireless access. I was curious if anyone knows of an open source package will allow me to manage access.

I'm looking possibly to do pre-pay access with a username and password and immediate access via credit card payment. Have access available for a 24 hour period once authenticated and so on.

I thought a while back (years ago) I came across some open source software which would do something like this, but I'm having trouble finding anything. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

I'd rather not have to pay for additional hardware other then a spare computer and WAP I already have. I plan to run the software on a workstation on the WAP network for authentication and such.

Thanks in advance!
    MePH
    "All technology should be assumed guilty until proven innocent." ~David Ross Brower

CCNA, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, A+

Re: Open Source Wireless Internet Solution

yes, it can be done and there is a distro of linux to manage the APs too... lemme google it.

ok.. a few things are returning. there is a program called WISP (wireless ISP) that will accomlish what you want...

this is a sample setup using a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel for wireless LAN setup
    http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_.../Wireless.html

we (me and a buddy) had a little linux box set up to manage APs, and we also had it set up to refer new leases to an HTTP on a windows box under SSL... this is where the redirect was to, but we had a credit machine and when the trans was complete, they had a working address. the sign on IP pool was totally different form teh client side. 172 pre pay, 192 after. that was it.

it was connected to a wireless mesh system and seemed like it was viable... just have been busy.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Re: Open Source Wireless Internet Solution

James,

Thank you for the information, I'll give this a look over and see what turns up.

MePH
      "All technology should be assumed guilty until proven innocent." ~David Ross Brower

CCNA, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, A+

Comment

Working...
      X