Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAN Bandwidth Monitor

Hi All,

I got 3 branch office connecting through the AAPT IPVPN. How do i monitor these branch office bandwidth usage?

I can't touch the routers and need to know the way of monitoring?

Setup like this
    main office <--->ROuter1<------------------->router 2<------->branch Office1

thanks
    AusNetIT Solutions

Web Design | Web Hosting | SEO | IT Support

Re: WAN Bandwidth Monitor

Cosy,

I would check out these two threads and see if they help in your search for a monitoring tool.

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=16575

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=16629

Hope this helps,

Nate
    Hope this helps.

Nate

My advice is provided AS IS, without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

HI Nate,

Thanks, My purpose is to monitor the bandwidth because i got IPMonitor Software for monitor my Servers and connection up times but not for the bandwidth.

If i setup manged Switches like this can i monitor the bandwidth? Which Software or how?

main Office----SW1--Router1------Router2----SW2---Branch Office

I DON'T Have access to these Routers.
      AusNetIT Solutions

Comment

if you dont have access to these routers, then youll only have ping statistics an such to report their availability. without an SNMP community name and possibily password, you wont get a reply. you can try a read-only snmp on "public", but good chance its not going to respond.

the best youll be able to do is monitor the i/o of switches 1 & 2, the data collected about the inbetween traffic will have to be infered from the data collected on the switches... which is a typical setup. cross check the replys from opposite offices to get a good estimate of full duplex trans...
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

If you don't have access to the routers, I would take a look at James' solution. Presuming you have access to the switches, you could setup SNMP to watch/graph the traffic on the switch ports connected to the routers.

As for the routers, do you know who manages them? If so they may create an SNMP Read-Only String for you.

As for which application to graph the traffic, Zenoss and Opennms both have the option to download a VMWare Appliance and have running in no time. As for the configuration, Zenoss would be the easiest. I have both Zenoss and Opennms running and Opennms is being a bit of a bear to configure.

Hope this helps.

Nate
          Hope this helps.

Nate

My advice is provided AS IS, without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

HI Nate,

So do i need to install that application on both side?

Do i need sperate VMware PC or can use the Server in the remote?
            Last edited by COSY; 10th July 2007, 01:18.
            AusNetIT Solutions

Comment

Cosy,

Originally posted by COSY View Post

So do i need to install that application on both side?
              In your first post you mentioned the sites were connected VIA AAPT IPVPN (honestly never heard of AAPT IPVPN). As long as you trust the security of this VPN you should be safe running the SNMP Data across it. Ensure the SNMP Strings are Strong and setup as READ-ONLY strings.

Originally posted by COSY View Post
              Do i need sperate VMware PC or can use the Server in the remote?
              Presuming the Server at your remote site has the capacity to handle another VM and you trust the VPN Security as Stated above, it should be fine on your current server. (I am running both of my instances on our test VMWare Server)

Again, I would ensure the security on you VPN and create some strong READ-ONLY SNMP strings. Depending on the amount/type of users I would probably change the strings every 3 months.

With some of the risks SNMP can open I would be very hesitant on sending SNMP Data across an insecure connection.

Hope this helps.

Nate
              Hope this helps.

Nate

Comment

HI,

Sorry AAPT is the Provider(ISP) and We got IP VPN. I'll look those Application and get back to you later.

I just Install PRTG and it's going well in my main Office. Now i can see the bandwidth on my local network but want to setup on remote sites and see i can get that site bandwidth details.
                AusNetIT Solutions

Comment

Just to test, what would happen if you point a sensor for PRTG to one of your remote switches? You could possibly get away with one monitoring system for all of the sites.

I have messed with PRTG for probably 10min and then found the cost to monitor out network and the started the OSS Search...
                  Hope this helps.

Nate

Comment

http://www.paessler.com/prtg

and its free.

Comment

Sorry about the miss understanding Wullieb1.

From what I understood it was free only for the first 3 sensors. It has also been a good year since I have looked into it. Think I'm going to download it a gain and test it out.

Thanks for the info,

Nate
                      Hope this helps.

Nate

Comment

Working...
                      X