Monitor Interent Connectivity to ISP?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor Interent Connectivity to ISP?

Here is my situation, we do not have our own router, we have a layer 3 switch and a fiber that connects to the city's switch which then goes to their router out to a larger isp. Well Im beginning to notice some lag or times the internet doesnt even work for a minute or 2. But our lan is fine. Is there an opensource or free program to monitor this kinda stuff. Maybe something that will monitor the uptime or downtime and latency or throughput of our connection to the city. Let me know if you need anymore info or if Im not making any sense. Thanks.

Re: Monitor Interent Connectivity to ISP?

There may be a much better solution; but the quick and dirty way is to capture and record ping stats. Try Performance Pinging to track this stuff.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Hops33n,

I would also take a look at Opennms. I downloaded the VM-Ware image for it and have had some time to play with it and found it will do latency tests and graph it out along with traffic reporting.

Another one to try would be Zenoss, it will do monitoring, alerting, and graphing of all SNMP Capable devices.

I am currently running Zenoss on my work network and thinking about possibly switching to Opennms.

Hope this helps,

Nate
      Hope this helps.

Nate

My advice is provided AS IS, without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I appreciate the help you all, looks like some good tools, I will give them a test run this week. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X