Need a WAN monitorng tool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a WAN monitorng tool

I have a 2mbps ILL in my office. Internet is shared among 200 desktops with out any proxies. Using the Multi Router Traffic Grapher (MRTG) link provided by the ISP, i am able to see the current inbound and outbound traffic over my line through the graph.

But as the line is being shared to all users without any control, i need a tool so that i can monitor which user is occupying more bandwidth with what kind of traffic is being generated.

I am sure i am not the first to come over a situation like this..
    Pls suggest one

Re: Need a WAN monitorng tool

PTRG works well and isnt that expensive... download a demo and check it out.

http://www.paessler.com/prtg
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

There are some pretty good Open Source Apps out there too.

I have used Zenoss which uses SNMP to monitor hosts (network, CPU, Mem, etc..) It can also alert if set thresh-holds are met too.

Another one I just installed on our VM-Ware Server is Opennms Haven't really explored all of the features.

They are both OSS and have the ability to purchase support.

If you are looking at spending some $$$ and want the ability to do policy rules on all traffic and pipe carving check out NetEnforcer we run the NetEnforcer AC400 on a University Network and it does a really nice job of showing who/what is using what amount of bandwidth and allows us to prioritize all of our traffic.

Hope this helps.

Nate
      Last edited by nateh; 22nd June 2007, 05:44. Reason: Added NetEnforcer - $$$ Option
      Hope this helps.

Nate

My advice is provided AS IS, without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

My sincere thanks to James and Nateh..

I already have a tool, which gives the status of traffic over the ILL every 5 mins.

But what i need is i want to know which computer in my LAN is occupying the bandwidth the most. A tool which gives me exactly this. And also I am not in a situation to spend for this

Comment

Working...
        X