Replacing Internal DNS Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Internal DNS Server

Hello all..I've got a DNS question. I'd like to move the primary DNS server function for my network from one server another. The current box is doing way too many things and I need to relieve some burden from it. What steps would I need to perform to acomplish this?

All servers are Win2k.

Thanks!

Re: Replacing Internal DNS Server

If you use DHCP, add the new server IP as an additional DNS server, wait until leases renew and then decommission the old server, removing it from DHCP as well

If you use static IPs, reconfigure each PC for the new server

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Replacing Internal DNS Server

Hello JP1,
      Instead of moving DNS role from that server. Why not you build one more server and do load balancing between old and new machine. If you using DHCP, describe new dns server as primary and old one as secondary dns server for your clients. In this way if your new one get down, your old one would be there to service your clients. Use AD primary zone between those dns servers.
      I think it woud be good idea rather than taking DNS service completely out of old computer.

Comment

Working...
      X