MAC spoofing turning LAN to hell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAC spoofing turning LAN to hell

I am using paradyne 6682 as bridged router and speedtouch 510 as main router trying to use mac filter feature in paradyne
    the main problem is I see Ghost computer on the network reserving multiple IPs at the same time statically and dynamically sometimes within different subnet
    to make more weird than it is , the MAC address doesn't belong to any known company probably spoofed it is 9a:73:25:7c:54:67
    or some other times b2:cc:ba:e9:cb:ae
    more surprisingly the computer name is the same as another normal computer on the LAN I thought it is the same person and kicked him out but unfortunately it seems like he is innocent because lately the ghost appeared with my own computer name , so he is smarter than I thought , some people suggests it is a trojan
    it is worth mentioning that after kicking out the guy spoofing stopped for long time before started again
    I also saw the ARP table of paradyne poisoned by an entry putting the default gateway 192.168.1.254 that is supposed to be speedtouch to the ghost MAC address instead of the speedtouch MAC address
    I am going insane

Re: MAC spoofing turning LAN to hell

hmmmm
    can you show us the drawing of you're network?
    also, did you implement a firewall?

I don't know what a paradyne 6682 is, but i wouldn't recommend speedtouch 510 as router. Is poor to configure.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

You can always follow the manufacturer's method to reset each device and start configuration from scratch (if you feel comfortable that you have enough info to get back)
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I don't know what a paradyne 6682 is, but i wouldn't recommend speedtouch 510 as router. Is poor to configure.
        zhone Paradyne 6218-AI is a 4 port wireless DSL router it is UNwidely spread yet as expensive and feature full as an Officeconnect
        http://paradyne.com/
        I am have no choice but to use speedtouch as a main router because paradyne instructions say it will only activate the MAC filter for bridged PVCs

WAN
        |
        Paradyne --> LAN ports -->PC1 direct and other 20 PCs behind many switches
        |
        LAN port --> LAN port of speedtouch

you see I read alot about spoofing but never talked to an expert in ethernet about the accurate diagnosis of my problem as a spoofing problem and what a spoofer can actually do perhapes you can shed some light o this thanks

Comment

Working...
        X