Is 1MB upload ok for VPN file transfer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 1MB upload ok for VPN file transfer

We currently have 384k up and I have the guys using Outlook over a VPN session and it works ok. I am thinking about going to 1Mb up and was wondering if that is good enough for remote file access?

Currently Cable broadband with 3MB down, 384k up.

Re: Is 1MB upload ok for VPN file transfer

Oh, forgot... Using a Cisco PIX 506e for the VPN.
    Servers on the backend are dual Xeons over 3 ghz.

Comment

Depends what you're trying to push across that ADSL line. I was very involved w/ a remote VPN operation between The Middle East and The States w/ that exact speed setup at a remote office in The States and 10-20 machines on line at any given time. Had a DC on site (obviously). We pushed large files (past the email attachments) after hours and we tried to keep DFS to a minimum. Worked well for us but we did have to work at it.
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

The remote sites are temporary construction sites that have broadband DSL or Cable modem connections. They mainly use Outlook, Word, & excel. I currently have them site to site VPN back into the office PIX for connecting outlook to our Exchange server. I tried copying small documents back and forth but it was very slow. Therefore I am considering bumping the office up to 1mb up. Will this help or is there something more to it.

Comment

How slow is slow (MB/sec)? We found trying to logon to a DC over the VPN (given it was almost 1/2 way around the world) was our issue.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

The current setup works fine for connecting Outlook back to th eexchange server. The PIX 506e firewall has built in VPN, which I had Cisco configure for me. I just installed the Cisco VPN client on the remote machines, used group authentication, and pointed outlook (Cached mode) to the fully qualified domain name of the server. When prompted by Outlook, I logged on using the individuals username and password and Bingo.
            Now, just not sure if increasing up-speed directly equates to better performance, allowing for acceptable file transfer speeds. I did not do any benchmark testing for transferring files at our current speeds. It just took several minutes to copy a small excel file from the local pc across to the server. It was " way too slow" for acceptable use.
            Last edited by Xirtic88; 4th June 2007, 20:24.

Comment

Increasing the line speed will most probably help performance. This is a cost/benefit analysis you'll need to perform. For $1/month it's a no-brainer. For $1,000,000/month you'd probably stay where you are.
              Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
              X