Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the recommended number of nodes per subnet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the recommended number of nodes per subnet?

Just a quickie. I'm looking for some info on the recommended number of nodes per subnet?

I need to justify spending money on some switches so I can break up a large flat IP network.

thanks in advance.

Re: What is the recommended number of nodes per subnet?

I don't like to see more than 254 per subnet. Makes subnetting a hell of a lot easier too.

If you're using 10Mbps Ethernet with hubs, then divide the number above by about 8 and God help you.

Managed switches with VLAN technology comes to your aid also. How much money do you have to spend and how many ports do you need?

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
      I don't like to see more than 254 per subnet. Makes subnetting a hell of a lot easier too.

If you're using 10Mbps Ethernet with hubs, then divide the number above by about 8 and God help you.

Managed switches with VLAN technology comes to your aid also. How much money do you have to spend and how many ports do you need?

Jas
      We are using 100mbps ethernet with cisco switches (some are around 8-9 years old) we have around 650 nodes and have split some of them off with win2003 routing.

We hope to have enough to replace the old switches and also obtain a layer 3 switch.

Comment

Well even 9 year old Cisco switches aren't too shabby. I own a few Cisco Catalyst 3600 series that I think are in that age bracket or maybe close. Still better than any hub.

Even so, I think you have the right idea - you don't want to put 650 hosts on the same subnet. Segment that puppy out to a minimum of 3 subnets with routers in between.

Or VLANning the domains might be an option.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
          Or VLANning the domains might be an option.
          VLAN the domains? Can you explain that a bit further please Jason?
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb View Post
            VLAN the domains? Can you explain that a bit further please Jason?
            Wikipedia definitition of a broadcast domain:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_domain

Using your Cisco switches (if they support VLANs), you can isolate traffic to separate network segments (subnetting) so not all of the 650 network hosts are on the same broadcast domain (or subnet).

Comment

Ahhh i was thinking NT not networking - cheers Jason.
              Server 2000 MCP
              Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X