Create new VLAN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create new VLAN

I will be setting up a new vlan with a HP Procuve 2626 at the main office and HP Procuve 2626 at remote office. Is there any other hardware needed when setting up this vlan? Looking for any information about configuring vlan from main to remote office. I want the remote office to be on the same domain as the main office.

thanks

Re: Create new VLAN

I don't think you're looking for VLAN. Rather, you'll want to setup a VPN to connect the two offices.

What exactly do you mean when you say "same domain"? I could make some assumptions but I don't like doing that.

EDIT - VLAN = Virtual Local Area Network. VLANs are used to logically segment a switch or several switches into 1 or more Broadcast Domain(s). A broadcast domain is something totally different than an Active Directory domain.
    Last edited by JeremyW; 18th April 2007, 23:50.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I will have a site to site vpn setup between main and branch office when the branch office is built. I want the branch office to be on the domain of the main office ucpofaz.com, I dont want to put a new exchange server or domain controller at the branch office. Can I setup a vlan so the branch office is on my domain.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffaz View Post
        I will have a site to site vpn setup between main and branch office when the branch office is built. I want the branch office to be on the domain of the main office ucpofaz.com, I dont want to put a new exchange server or domain controller at the branch office. Can I setup a vlan so the branch office is on my domain.
        OK, good, you'll have a VPN. But VLANs will not help you with your goal. (see the edit to my post above)
        Since you have Exchange then that means you have and Active Directory domain which I assume is what we're talking about.

Yes, you can have the branch office be part of the same domain but VLANs are not going to help you do this. Depending on how many clients you have at the branch office, you may want to install an additional 1 or 2 DCs there and place them in their own site (ADSS) along with the branch office's subnet.

I don't know what OSes you're running but here's a link to the Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Branch Office Guide http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
        Last edited by JeremyW; 19th April 2007, 00:05. Reason: spelling
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Information on VALN etc. in HP products can be found in:

http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/index....&lang=en&cc=us

But I guess that you like to create a VPN site to site from one office to another.
          Usually,in a small office, you dont need to create extra VLAN's....
          Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

There is going to be a group of five users at the new branch office that are the Financial department, so I thought of putting them on vlan so others dont have access to them.

Comment

There is going to be a group of five users at the new branch office that are the Financial department, so I thought of putting them on vlan so others dont have access to them.
              Since those five users are in a different office and you want them to be in the same domain, there needs to be some communication between the computers, namely the servers and the clients.

Regardless of what machines you want talking to each other, you need to put the branch office computers in a different subnet than the main office. You should then be able to control communication using the firewall.

Again, using multiple VLANs will not help you accomplish your goal.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

After the site to site is up with branch office on a different subnet and all is working, would putting branch office on vlan be of any beneift for security or could I vlan branch office

Comment

There is no benefit that I can see. To control traffic, use the firewall.

Um.... since you're so gun-ho about using VLANs , maybe I can take some time and draw up a diagram of your situation to show you why there would be no benefit.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

So my only options is a slow site to site vpn.

Comment

well take faster lines then...
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

So my only options is a slow site to site vpn.
                        You could get a fast site to site VPN... or you could get one or more leased lines between your offices. But these still have nothing to do with VLANs.

Would you like me to make that diagram for you?
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

easy explination:

VLAN is Virtual Local Area Network
                          LAN Is Local Area Network

When you setup a branch office you need to setup a WAN connection; Wide Area Network
                          Do you see the bolded differences????

To serperate a LAN you can use VLANS

To connect multiple offices together, the most easiest (and most cost inexpensive) way is to use Site-to-Site VPN over the internet.

You cannot route you're vlan traffic directly over the internet. (you shouldn't even wat to to that!) How do you want to setup a trunk with the other side then????
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands
                          http://www.phetios.com
                          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                          X