Windows 98 network trouble shooting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 98 network trouble shooting

Hi... I'm hoping someone here will have an idea of what I am doing wrong...

I have three computers... all of them previously on a network... they all run windows 98... one of them needed a bigger hard drive so I replaced it and reinstalled Windows 98 SE since then I cannot access my home network.... I can surf the net.... I can ping all the ip's of the other computers... I just can see them to share the files...

yes I have turned on file sharing and as long as I am not on my isp connection I can see them... but as soon as I connect I loose my ability to share files back and forth... I have renewed and released and renewed IP addresses a hundred times still no luck... I simply cannot see anyone except myself

I have noticed that default gateways arent available when I'm not online... but as soon as I connect to the internet I get a different gateway on all three computers... I dont know if that makes a difference... as you can see I'm pretty much lost here... I'm sincerely hoping someone can tell me what it is that I need to do to get this system back up an on the intranet again I depserately need the printer share... oh yeah and I do have the work group names spelled exactly the same

thanks in advance

Re: Windows 98 network trouble shooting

How are you connecting to the Internet?
    Do the computers have static IP addresses or are they configured for DHCP?
    Is the Computer Browser service running?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I was connecting thru a switch I changed it to a router and it seems better.... I've jacked around with it so much that I am currently reinstalling the OS to get it back to defaults... I have dynamic ip addresses and yes brower service is running....

what I dont get is this computer came off of a switch.... I should have been able to redo... setup and plug in.... but it wont let me so changing to a router instead seems to be the only way around this...

Comment

Like you said the router probably solved your issue. Are you familiar with NAT? You won't be able to share an Internet connection with a switch. Only one computer can get the public address and then the other computers would get an address assigned from the APIPA range. This would explain the behaviour of not being able to communicate when you connect to the Internet....
        but looking back over your first post it says that you could ping the IP address of the other computers. What were the IP addresses? I must have it wrong if you could ping them. Did you have some sort of ICS (is this even available on 98) running?
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X