Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Setup

Not sure if this is the place for this but:

We are moving to a house that does not have DSL. Currently I have a domain (combination wired and wireless) that is configured as follows behind the DSL modem:
    1) A hardware firewall
    2) A domain controller (Win2k Server) that houses an Exchange 2k server
    3) A web server (Win2003 Server)
    4) A sql server
    5) Two towers and 4 laptops with print sharing via WinXP

Now that I am losing my DSL, here is my plan. Please tell me if it makes sense:

I will need to go to cable broadband at our new house but since they do not (as far as I know) offer static ip addresses I will need to host the domain itself at a remote location. Then I will have to access the domain remotely. My firewall has a vpn that I can enable.

I am planning on moving my Exchage to one of the other towers so that it is not on the domain controller.

Is this a good way to go? Is there a better way? What are some good utilities for remote access. I update my web sites with MS Visual InterDev so I will need that capability.

I am totally open for advice!

Thanks in advance~

Re: Domain Setup

You could keep everything as it is and use a Dynamic DNS option. I have a collegue who uses it to remote into his client that do not have a static IP. I'm sure someone who reads this will be able to recommend one that is reliable.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You can install a citrix server and point the nfuse to one of your web servers
      Using a dial up coonection connect to the citrix and the speed will be as if you are sitting near the box ( on the citrix server you can publish the tools you want to use like rdp etc)

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
        You could keep everything as it is and use a Dynamic DNS option. I have a collegue who uses it to remote into his client that do not have a static IP. I'm sure someone who reads this will be able to recommend one that is reliable.

I used zoneedit:

http://www.zoneedit.com/

You can have up to 5 domains for free (And then they start charging you). All you need to do is install some client software that automatically updates your account with your new IP Address (You can even purchase certian routers that actually do this - linksys) Zone Edit can host your MX records etc.

The main page isn't much to look at but it's a top notch service

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm
          I used zoneedit:

http://www.zoneedit.com/

You can have up to 5 domains for free (And then they start charging you). All you need to do is install some client software that automatically updates your account with your new IP Address (You can even purchase certian routers that actually do this - linksys) Zone Edit can host your MX records etc.

The main page isn't much to look at but it's a top notch service

Michael
          There are a few free services that will do this.

I always find though that if you are using these services to set you MX record to point to the host name. i.e instead of 123.123.123.123 use mymx.free.com

Comment

Working...
          X