Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't ping to ADSL modem

Hi,
    I'm running an XP (SP2) system, connecting to the net via an Aztech DSL-600E modem.
    The whole system worked flawlessly, but after a reboot, all my networking links diappeared. It required a long process, but eventually, my NIC is available and I can configure connections.
    What's left? Communication with the modem. When I ping to the modem (10.0.0.13, it's not available. Therefore. no communication is possible.
    How can I identify the blocking factor?

Ran

Re: Can't ping to ADSL modem

could u tell me what is the exact error message when u ping that ip?
    means request timed out or destination host unreachable or hardware error or something like that?

Comment

The response is "Destination host unreachable".

Ran

Comment

Check the subnet mask of your PC and ensure that it is the same as the modem.

Comment

Check the IP as well. You may find the modem had its DHCP turned off so XP might be providing a 169.254.x.x IP if you hadn't assigned a static IP to the laptop.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

i think ur modem is not well or having some kind of configuration problem... have u checked or replaced ur modem before? if modem is ok then chk ur nic.
            Last edited by ailia; 26th January 2006, 17:52.

Comment

Hi,

Just start your dns services again and dhcp service also then it will start sure.

do onething more from dos mode try to this command -

c:>nslookup yahoo.com

if it can resolve then ok if not then in place of yahoo.com put your dns server ip.

then if could start then pls ensure your DHCP and DNS services are start or not..

Bye

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
                Check the subnet mask of your PC and ensure that it is the same as the modem.
                I made a second partition and installed a second booting system (XP). The new partition behaves flawlessly. Looks like there's some problem in my original os.

Since I made no change to the default definition of my tcp/ip, the two definitions are identical. Still, one works and and the other doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                  Check the IP as well. You may find the modem had its DHCP turned off so XP might be providing a 169.254.x.x IP if you hadn't assigned a static IP to the laptop.
                  Let me repeat. My second partition works with the same modem. Therefore, both the modem and the 2nd os are ok, and what's at fault is the first os.

Comment

Originally posted by ailia
                    i think ur modem is not well or having some kind of configuration problem... have u checked or replaced ur modem before? if modem is ok then chk ur nic.
                    Yes. This same modem works ok with my second os.

Comment

Originally posted by chermesh
                      I made a second partition and installed a second booting system (XP). The new partition behaves flawlessly. Looks like there's some problem in my original os.

Since I made no change to the default definition of my tcp/ip, the two definitions are identical. Still, one works and and the other doesn't.
                      Have you tried to un-install all the software that came with the modem, including the drivers, and re-install them??

You could also try re-installing TCP/IP on the affected partition.

http://www.petri.com/reinstall_tcp_ip_on_windows_xp.htm

Comment

Have you tried to un-install all the software that came with the modem, including the drivers, and re-install them??

You could also try re-installing TCP/IP on the affected partition.

http://www.petri.com/reinstall_tcp_ip_on_windows_xp.htm
                        The modem didn't require any drivers or installations. (It's an ADSL router/modem).
                        WinXP doesn't allow unistalling tcp/ip. I did rebuild the winsock using netsh.

Comment

So you must connect via a NIC on the pc to a port on the router??

Have you removed the NIC from device manager and re-installed it?? Downloaded and installed the latest drivers??

Did you save the log file from netsh?? If so post it here.

Comment

So you must connect via a NIC on the pc to a port on the router??

Have you removed the NIC from device manager and re-installed it?? Downloaded and installed the latest drivers??

Did you save the log file from netsh?? If so post it here.

I did remove the NIC and did update the drivers.

As to the netsh log, can you specify exactly what log? The "netsh winsock reset" log includes one line, an instruction to reboot.

Comment

Have you looked at the link i provided??

The command looks like this

netsh int ip reset [ log_file_name]

Comment

Working...
                              X