Rebooting an ADSL Modem from a Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebooting an ADSL Modem from a Server

I operate a SBS 2003 server that has a broadband connection via a Dynalink RTA230 ADSL Router. There have been occasions in which the server undergoes a "planned" reboot (remotely) and the internet connection never seems to get reestablished correctly OR under certain conditions the RTA230 seems to lose it's internet connection because of line noise or local lightening flashes... in either case the problem can be "fixed" by simply rebooting the modem but that requires me (or someone) to drive to the server's location. Since the server isn't responsible for negotiating the PPPOE link (the router does that) - the server doesn't excersize any control over the RTA230 or the connection.

I believe I have a "fix"for this but I'm wondering if anyone out there has a better idea or even another idea. My "fix" involves using an ISA Server 2004 "connectivity" task. A task can be setup to occasionally "ping" my ISP and setup a "no connectivity" alert that would kick off a script whenever the server failed to get a response (say after 3-4 times). The script (Windows, Java or something) would negotiate a Telnet session or control a telnet session with the RTA230 and force it to reboot. I'd like to find a "scriptable" telnet application to do this with.

Has anyone else ever tried this approach? Can anyone suggest a "scriptable" telnet application (I'm not looking for text redirection or "sendkey" solutions for controlling telnet).

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Re: Rebooting an ADSL Modem from a Server

I downloaded a small utility that i use for testing mail flow works to our smarthost.

The tool is called Telnet Scripting Tool.

If you want it PM me and i'll send it to you.

Comment

Was it absolutley necessary to start a new topic for the EXACT same question???? http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=5982

You could have used the REPLY button and asked further questions. Please do NOT double post in the future. Thank you!!
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
        Was it absolutley necessary to start a new topic for the EXACT same question???? http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=5982

You could have used the REPLY button and asked further questions. Please do NOT double post in the future. Thank you!!
        Sorry... if I was able to delete it or move it to a new area (where I thought I were posing the question to the right audience) I would have but those options are not available on this board.

Comment

Ok, fair enough. Jumped the gun a bit, sorry (and I'm jealouus of the Brisbane weather). For future reference you could make a note in your post and ask the Forum Moderator to move the post to another appropriate forum. In this case a Super Admin might be kind to us and weave some merge magic.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'll try that - but next time I think I'll look around at the different forums first to see which one might give me the best audience. The post in the SBS2000/SBS2003 area has had 65 reads with one response... certainly someone ... somewhere has had this problem and thought of a simple solution - Harvey Normans was fresh out of $600 (US) Juniper Routers...

Comment

Just a point, Harvey Norman will match prices if you can find one somewhere else that is cheaper. Try http://www.ozcableguy.com and see what he might suggest. He is up your way.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X