No announcement yet.

Dialup and using a router as an AP

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dialup and using a router as an AP

I have a NetGear WGR614 router that I wish to use as an access point. My internet connection is dialup via internal modem on an XPpro box. The router is on the same box connected to 1 of the 4 ports in the router. I'd like to allow 2 additional pc's to be able to use my internet connection. I've heard this can be done by disabling dhcp on the router and using ICS or a proxy. I'll probably use FreeProxy to allow the others (my kids) access to the web and gmail(via pop). Any ideas on how to get this all setup? Do I need to specify static ip's on all 3 pc's or can I let the wireless adaptors on the 2 other pc's try to pick their own once they see the router?

In the router config if I set for itself, do I also have to set an IP for the port that I'm plugged into? (the 'marvel' port on an Asus A8N-Sli Prem.)

And lastly, do I have to setup the pseudo-server box to go through the proxy also or can I just let it remain the way it is now and it'll connect to the net through it's current methods?

Any help, links, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Dialup and using a router as an AP

Some one should reply of this Post. i had this problam recently. but now i simply use a D link switch+ Lan cards for Simple sharing on Xp Pro. based systems.

Re: Dialup and using a router as an AP

Master of Criminals: This post was from 2005. I wasn't here then. If you'd like to open a new post on your particular situation, please do so.

And please give enough particulars of your situation so we can help.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.