No announcement yet.

When to move to GB network

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to move to GB network

Our company has been looking into setting up VPNs (some static and some dynamic IPs). I'm looking to take the approach of using a router with VPN capabilities. The issue now is assessing how important it is to get a router with a Gigabit connection. Strangely you can get cheap routers that are GB routers but no VPN, medium price (250 to 600, actually cheap for business standards I suppose) but it seems you have to spend upwards of $2K for a router/switch that has GB speed AND VPN capabilities. We will be building a new building soon and as the fiber comes in (assuming we will have 5MB down/4MB up connection) it will run to an ISP's router that splits off into the IP PBX system and the GB LAN connection. I'm assuming the router I purchase now will go inside (behind) that primary router. We will wire the building with CAT6 for future use of GB traffic. The company only has about 20 people and currently we are running ONE MS 2003 server that handles file sharing, FTP, print sharing, and basic intranet web site. Soooo, after all of that I'm just trying to get opinions from someone more experienced as to how important it would be for us to have a GB VPN router over a 10/100 VPN router. Hopefully I will get some feedback. As usual, thanks in advance.

Re: When to move to GB network

I wouldn't worry about having a GB router to terminate VPN connections too much. Invest you cash into a good firewall first, one with multiple WAN interfaces & GB if needed, so you can set up multiple DMZs when needed.

The ISP's router, with the GB interface will probably auto speed adjust if needed to get you by in the short term.

Once you have that inplace and want to terminate multiple VPN's you may want to look for a VPN concentrator instead of a router. What you can do then is place the concentrator on a DMZ (semi-protected & firewalled), set up connection parameters through the concentrator and allow access to your LAN.

If you are worried about through put with VPNs/Internet traffic & voice traffic all coming through the same pipe you may want to get a secondary link to the Internet and then have a router to load balance between the links.

Remember, the fastest speed a VPN is going to hit you is the remote locations Internet access speed (in a perfect world).