No announcement yet.

Wired and Wireless Connection Issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wired and Wireless Connection Issue

I have a small network setup. 3 XP laptops, on same 'home' workgroup. All three laptops are connected to a Linksys router. I have an external hard drive connected to one of the laptops, that is shared out. The other 2 laptops have access to the external hard drive that's connected to the 1st laptop.

Now, I am in an area where the internet connection is provided by wireless access points. Now, whenever I have the laptops connected to both the router, and the wirless access points I cant get out to the Internet. Its like its trying to go out through the wired router, which has no internet connection associated with it.

One thing I attempted, and actually worked on 2 of the 3 laptops, was to set the LAN card to 10Mbps instead of 100Mbps. This leads me to believe that the computer is following the fastest connection, even though it doesnt neccessarilly lead to the internet. And, this only works on 2 of the 3 laptops.

What can I do to make each laptop only use the wireless connection as its means to access the internet??? There has to be an easier way to do this! Is that possible?

Hopefully the above makes sense.