Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a broadband connection with Verizon, how do I keep bandwidth under control?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a broadband connection with Verizon, how do I keep bandwidth under control?

Hello all,
    In a year or so, I'm going to be hosting my own web site on a broadband connection at home. I have Internet service from Verizon, though I'm not sure what type of router we have as my family never gave me that information. I do know though that I'm going to have part of my site consisting of both video and audio types of downloads. I will offer both a link to download them or to play them with silverlight-enhanced quality. My friend warned me that I'm going to have to watch my bandwidth. Do you think that in this case, using bandwidth throddling mechanisms in IIS will help keep bandwidth usage to a minimum? Or in your opinion, should I just upload the videos somewhere else and then link to them? If I go that route, I'm finding a silverlight enabled site though. Thanks for any feedback you folks have. Any education on this matter's really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chromebuster

Re: I have a broadband connection with Verizon, how do I keep bandwidth under control

Hey Chromebuster,

I don't think throttling in IIS will fulfill your need. Will just slow things down. You're better off hosting your images and videos elsewhere.

IMHO I wouldn't host a web site on a residential connection. I'm not sure what Verizon is like but remember your upload is no where near as fast as your download so anyone viewing your site will be limited to your U/L speed. There are other factors as well such as dynamic vs static IP (which can be resolved by DDNS but I prefer to host on static IP's)

Hope my info helps!

Comment

Re: I have a broadband connection with Verizon, how do I keep bandwidth under control

I won't have a residential connection by the time I actually do this next year. That's just what a friend told me. It's not like I have a ton of videos though anyway. But then do you know of any video sharing communities that use Silverlight instead of flash?

Comment

Try and Google silverlight web hosting and see what is listed.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'm still with I7Media, and I think I'm staying there for load balancing purposes in the future, so maybe I just won't replicate the video data on my server? Possible, but I might have to still use flash simply because a very smart guy in my many contacts just reminded me that Silverlight restricts my user population to Windows based computers, and the Linux users get left out. I keep forgetting to think about them because I love Microsoft so much.

Comment

Why Silverlight instead of Flash? Thought about HTML5 video?

Will this be a small site for family / friends and/or want to control access?
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

This is a site where accessibility for everyone, especially those with disabilities is warranted. I know that Silverlight is more accessible than Flash, and I don't know about HTML 5 video. And the other thing is that I know that Mojo Portal supports Silverlight. That's the CMS my site runs off of, so I have to use technologies conducive to it.

Comment

Working...
              X